Blair has caved

• News
  • Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
jimmy p
Gold Member
OK, the Queen spends most of her time in Buckingham Palace. Windsor Castle is more of a holiday home :) Actually there HAS been talk that we could lose the monarchy, I live in England and I know the news. Maybe it is scaremongering about joining the European superstate or maybe it isnt.

Kat is right. At the moment the Queen and the Royal Family are mainly ceremonial but they still do have their powers. Technically, if she doesnt want to join (like most of the population), but boney Tony and his labour cronies keep pushing for it, she can abolish parliament. THAT would solve any problems.

We maybe part of the EU in some respects but not fully. I dont remember using the Euro. I dont remember conforming to European rules and legislations. Well, not all of them.

jimmy p
Gold Member
OK, apologies for the EU malarky, I just cant find another way of saying "The European Superstate".... :biggrin:

jimmy p
Gold Member
OK here is what I understand of the situation.

Britain IS part of the European Union just not the European superstate. At the moment the EU has power of a sort but the seperate governments of a nation can rule their own people. The EU can propose Regulations and laws etc, but they dont have direct control over individual nations, just 'Europe'. The security council (or whatever it is called) concept is an effort to ceintralise European politics. As such the government (and us as the people) would lose a lot of say about how countries are run, but it would be run by a representative European central government like America is. The 'States' represent a European Country:- they produce their own governers, senators etc, and they have their own 'state laws', but they have little power or say outside their nation and they can be overridden at any point by the main government. It's just basically a step towards a 'United States of Europe'.

To be honest im suprised Blairs doing it. We're clearly far from ready for such a step, I think its a gamble to win public support to get us to vote 'no' initially so he can be seen as a good bloke and get in again. Sneaky.