Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bland Foods

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1
    So recently I have been eating bland foods a lot. Whole wheat + peanut butter + water mostly, which is not bad. But I get... sugar cravings. Like now, when I have had no fruit or sugary drink for a few days, I crave sugar--iced tea, lemons, some kind of fruit. Wonder why. Surely there isn't any biological need for sugar.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need sugar, so yes there is a biological need.

You needs carbohydrates as well. Your brain needs it.

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, as Jason points out, you do indeed need sugar. Though, you may also be craving fruits for the vitamins you're lacking in the rest of your diet.

5. Mar 9, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I love fruit and vegetables.

I'd rather have a fruit salad over fast food anyday. So gooooooddddd....

6. Mar 9, 2005 #5
    Your body can't make sugar from complex carbohydrates?

Vitamins. Poiheps. Haven't had a vitamin pill in a couple days.

7. Mar 9, 2005 #6
    Personally I also like vegetables and particularly fruits but I eat few of them because they are too low calorie and they bruise too easily.

8. Mar 9, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It can, but not if you're not eating enough. If you eat a more balanced diet, you don't need vitamin pills.

9. Mar 9, 2005 #8
    I eat a lot, 3000 Calories many days. I'm not hungry for more complex carbohydrates, I'm hungry for fruit and sugar. I'd like a bottle of lemon juice right now, just to drink in a cup.

10. Mar 9, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you also burn a lot of calories in a day with all that biking. Anyway, if you're craving something as bizarre as lemon juice, I don't think it's the sugar you're craving, probably the vitamins. Any vitamin C in that diet of yours? Or are you working on becoming a scurvy pirate?

11. Mar 9, 2005 #10
    I eat cereal fortified with so many vitamins it's basically a vitamin pill per serving.

12. Mar 9, 2005 #11
    Now that you mention it, though, I did notice that my lower lip was split and bleeding yesterday morning when eating a sandwich (you see the drops of blood on the bread). Could be connected.

13. Mar 9, 2005 #12
    Or V8! I want V8 right now.

14. Mar 9, 2005 #13
    so why don't you take some?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?