How Can I Verify My Blasius Equation Excel Calculations?

• Thread starter Wildcat04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to write an excel spreadsheet for calculating f, f', f'', and f''' for a given range of \eta values. The relevant equations and boundary conditions are provided, as well as the initial and predictor steps for the calculations. The person also mentions that they had trouble with subscripting in their attempt.
Wildcat04

Homework Statement

I am trying to write an excel spreadsheet to show the f, f', f'', and f''' for [tex]\eta[/tex] = 0 - 8.8 and I just wanted to check my formulas if someone wouldn't mind as my results are slightly off from the tables in my fluid mechanics book

Homework Equations

Equation:

[tex] f''' + \frac {1}{2} f f''' = 0 [/tex]

Boundary Conditions:

[tex] f(0) = f'(0) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] f'(\eta \rightarrow \infty) = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \Delta\eta = 0.2 [/tex]

Initial

[tex] f_{i2} = f_{i1} + \Delta\eta * \frac {f'_{i1} + f'_{k1}} {2} [/tex]

[tex] f'_{i2} = f'_{i1} + \Delta\eta * \frac {f''_{i1} + f''_{k1}} {2} [/tex]

[tex] f''_{i2} = f''_{i1} + \Delta\eta * \frac {f'''_{i1} + f'''_{k1}} {2} [/tex]

[tex] f'''_{i2} = -\frac {1} {2} f_{i2} * f''_{i2} [/tex]

Predictor

[tex] f_{k2} = f_{i2}+ \Delta\eta * f'_{i2}[/tex]

[tex] f'_{k2} = f'_{i2}+ \Delta\eta * f''_{i2}[/tex]

[tex] f''_{k2} = f''_{i2}+ \Delta\eta * f'''_{i2}[/tex]

[tex] f'''_{k2} = -\frac {1} {2} f_{k2} * f''_{k2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks in advance!

Just a note, I couldn't get i-1 and k-1 subscripted, so i2, k2 is current and i1, k1 is the previous result. Initial boundary conditions are set at i0, for f, f', f'', and f'''.

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial f_i2 = f_i1 + (Delta eta * ((f'_i1 + f'_k1)/2)) f'_i2 = f'_i1 + (Delta eta * ((f''_i1 + f''_k1)/2)) f''_i2 = f''_i1 + (Delta eta * ((f'''_i1 + f'''_k1)/2)) f'''_i2 = - (1/2)*(f_i2*f''_i2) Predictor f_k2 = f_i2 + (Delta eta * f'_i2) f'_k2 = f'_i2 + (Delta eta * f''_i2) f''_k2 = f''_i2 + (Delta eta * f'''_i2) f'''_k2 = - (1/2)*(f_k2*f''_k2)

Hello,

I understand your desire to double check your formulas and make sure your results are accurate. I would suggest checking your equations and boundary conditions carefully to ensure they are correct. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or professor for another set of eyes to review your work.

Additionally, it is important to note that the Blasius equation is a non-linear differential equation and therefore, its solutions can be sensitive to small changes in initial conditions. This could explain the slight discrepancies in your results compared to the tables in your fluid mechanics book. I would suggest expanding your range of \eta values and seeing if the discrepancies become more significant. This could also help to confirm the accuracy of your program.

Overall, it is great that you are using an excel spreadsheet to solve the Blasius equation. This can be a useful tool for visualizing and analyzing the solutions. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to seek out assistance if needed. Best of luck with your project!

What is the Blasius Equation Program?

The Blasius Equation Program is a mathematical tool used to solve the Blasius equation, which is a third-order nonlinear differential equation used in fluid mechanics to model boundary layer flow over a flat plate.

Why is the Blasius Equation important in fluid mechanics?

The Blasius equation is significant in fluid mechanics because it provides a fundamental understanding of boundary layer flow, which is essential in many engineering applications, such as aerodynamics and heat transfer.

How does the Blasius Equation Program work?

The Blasius Equation Program uses numerical methods to approximate the solution of the Blasius equation. It breaks the equation into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved using algorithms and computer programs.

What are the benefits of using the Blasius Equation Program?

The Blasius Equation Program allows for quick and accurate solutions to the Blasius equation, which would be difficult and time-consuming to solve by hand. It also allows for the exploration of different boundary conditions and parameters, providing a deeper understanding of the underlying physics.

Are there any limitations to the Blasius Equation Program?

Like any numerical method, the Blasius Equation Program has limitations. It may not be able to accurately solve the equation for certain boundary conditions, and the results may vary depending on the chosen numerical method and grid size. Additionally, it may not be applicable to more complex boundary layer flow problems.