Blasius Model Solution in Matlab | Boundary Layer Profiles without ODE45

In summary: Can you explain what this code is doing in words?In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve the Blasius Equation in Matlab without using built-in functions such as ODE45. The homework statement included the equation and the desired output of boundary layer profiles for given values. The attempt at a solution mentioned initial conditions and using a loop to manipulate terms. The conversation then shifted to discussing the mechanics of solving the equation and the need to convert it into a system of first order ODEs. A Matlab code for solving the problem using 2nd order Runge-Kutta was shared, which involved setting initial conditions, computing provisional values, and updating the solution at each step. However, it is unclear how this code relates to creating velocity
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

Program, without any built in functions (like ODE45), a solution to the Blasius Equation in Matlab that outputs boundary layer profiles for given x values, u values, etc.

Homework Equations

2f''' + f''f = 0
fj = fj-1 + Δη/2 * (gj + gj-1)
gj = [Δη2/4][2gj+1/Δη2 + 2gj-1/Δη2 + fj*(gj+1 - gj-1)/2Δη]
η = y[U/νx]1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure how to do this in Matlab. What do I put for f? I understand I can loop through once I have j-1, j, and j+1 terms, but I guess getting there and getting them into a form that I can manipulate evades me. And then afterwards what to do. How to I relate η to f in order to create boundary layer profiles? I can't use any built in functions like ODE45, but I wouldn't even know how to use that either so I guess that's ok!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bluestribute said:

Homework Statement

Program, without any built in functions (like ODE45), a solution to the Blasius Equation in Matlab that outputs boundary layer profiles for given x values, u values, etc.

Homework Equations

2f''' + f''f = 0
fj = fj-1 + Δη/2 * (gj + gj-1)
gj = [Δη2/4][2gj+1/Δη2 + 2gj-1/Δη2 + fj*(gj+1 - gj-1)/2Δη]
η = y[U/νx]1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure how to do this in Matlab. What do I put for f? I understand I can loop through once I have j-1, j, and j+1 terms, but I guess getting there and getting them into a form that I can manipulate evades me. And then afterwards what to do. How to I relate η to f in order to create boundary layer profiles? I can't use any built in functions like ODE45, but I wouldn't even know how to use that either so I guess that's ok!
You can't solve any differential equation numerically unless you know some initial conditions to start with.

The Blasius equation is discussed in more detail here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasius_boundary_layer

Doing a web search will turn up other hits.

As far as the mechanics of the solution are concerned, you are forbidden to use canned routines like ODE45, but that doesn't mean you are exempt from using the method, just that you must code it up for Matlab. You should study Runge-Kutta type methods for solving ODEs.

The B.C.'s we have are f(0) = 0, f'(0) = 0, and f'(∞) = 1, and that's directly relatable to η (so pretty much f(η), or at least that's what it looks like).

I guess that math sort of confuses me than. I'm looking at this without much going on upstairs. I have a whole bunch of letters, like f and g, and I know I'm solving for f and g, but I have no clue how I can solve for f and g when the definition of them include f1, g1, etc. And that link is showing that f is a function of x and y, among other things? But I don't have an f . . .

Bluestribute said:
The B.C.'s we have are f(0) = 0, f'(0) = 0, and f'(∞) = 1, and that's directly relatable to η (so pretty much f(η), or at least that's what it looks like).

I guess that math sort of confuses me than. I'm looking at this without much going on upstairs. I have a whole bunch of letters, like f and g, and I know I'm solving for f and g, but I have no clue how I can solve for f and g when the definition of them include f1, g1, etc. And that link is showing that f is a function of x and y, among other things? But I don't have an f . . .
If you've never solved an ODE numerically, the notation can look pretty confusing. This seems like a difficult problem to start with, being a third order equation.

Numerical techniques are usually designed to solve first order equations, which means you'll have to convert the Blasius equation into an equivalent system of first order ODEs in order to solve it numerically. Have you been shown how to do this?

. . . Possibly I have learned that? . . .

So here's the equations for fj and gj we were given:
gj = [∆η2/4][2gj+1/∆η2 + 2gj-1/∆η2 + fj([gj+1-gj-1]/2∆η)]
fj = ∆η[fj-1/∆η + (gj+gj-1)/2] = fj-1 + ∆η(gj + gj-1)

So to solve that, do I need to put in random initial guess to help iterate through? Because I have no gj+1 terms . . . or any j+1 terms for that matter. And nothing is really making sense when I read through it.

I found this Matlab code:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Program: blasius
%
% Solve the Blasius problem
% using 2nd order Runge-Kutta
%
% Mark Blyth 2007
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

clear all
close all
clc % Clears the command window

%%
% Set initial condition, step length (h)
% and termination point
%%

h= 0.05; tend = 5.0;

alpha=0.4696;

y1(1)=0; y2(1)=0; y3(1)=alpha; %%%%%%%%%
% Advance solution up to tend
%%%%%%%%%

t(1)=0;

i=1;

while t(i) < tend

i=i+1;

%%%
% Step from t(i-1) to t(i) using
% the provisional step tt inbetween
%%%

% 1. Compute f(t,y)

f10 = y2(i-1);
f20 = y3(i-1);
f30 = -y1(i-1)*y3(i-1);

% 2. Set provisional values

yt1 = y1(i-1) + h*f10;
yt2 = y2(i-1) + h*f20;
yt3 = y3(i-1) + h*f30;

% 3. Compute phase speed ft at provisional point

ft1 = yt2;
ft2 = yt3;
ft3 = -yt1*yt3;

% 4. Compute final phase speed ff

ff1 = (1/2)*f10 + (1/2)*ft1;
ff2 = (1/2)*f20 + (1/2)*ft2;
ff3 = (1/2)*f30 + (1/2)*ft3;

% 5. Set new solution value at t(i)

y1(i) = y1(i-1) + h*ff1;
y2(i) = y2(i-1) + h*ff2;
y3(i) = y3(i-1) + h*ff3;

% 6. Update time

t(i) = t(i-1) + h;

end%%
% Plot solution for df/dx
%%

plot(t,y2)
hold on
plot(t,y3,'--')

How does this make the profile? I don't see anything in there that looks familiar, and I'm trying to dissect these codes to maybe get sent on the right track. And how can you use this to create velocity profiles?

1. What is the Blasius Model?

The Blasius Model is a mathematical model used to describe the laminar boundary layer of a fluid flow over a flat plate. It was developed by German engineer, Hermann Blasius, in the early 20th century.

2. How is the Blasius Model used in Matlab?

In Matlab, the Blasius Model can be implemented using the built-in function, "bvp4c". This function solves boundary value problems numerically, which is necessary for solving the Blasius equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Blasius Model?

The Blasius Model assumes that the fluid flow is incompressible, laminar, and has a constant density. It also assumes that the fluid velocity at the edge of the boundary layer is zero, and that the fluid viscosity is constant.

4. What are the limitations of the Blasius Model?

The Blasius Model is only applicable to laminar boundary layers and cannot be used for turbulent flow. It also does not account for variations in fluid properties, such as temperature or pressure, along the boundary layer.

5. How accurate is the Blasius Model?

The accuracy of the Blasius Model depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and the assumptions made. It is generally accurate for laminar boundary layers, but for turbulent flow, other models may be more suitable.