Blaster infected lots of computers

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary: If you have a firewall and/or anti-virus software installed, then you're probably fine. If you don't have either of those things, you may want to consider installing them. The virus is spreading really fast and has already infected lots of computers here. This virus was found few days ago in USA. Some of my friends got this computer virus immediately after logging on to the internet! You may want to consider installing a firewall and/or anti-virus software to help protect your computer.
KLscilevothma
I don't know where to post this thread but I think I better post here.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

The virus is spreading really fast and has already infected lots of computers here. This virus was found few days ago in USA. Some of my friends got this computer virus immediately after logging on to the internet!

Good luck everyone, especially those who use Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows NT :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
How does it spread?

I read on yahoo news that it was going to use the infected computers to assualt www.windowsupdate.com on saturday.

I vote on waiting to clean it till sunday.

j/k

I don't give a damn about windowsupdate and the DoS it's planning. I give a damn about the fact that I already received 3 emails with viruses in them and I wonder if it's Blaster.

Everything I've read about it says its virtually harmless, aside from the fact its going to use your cpu and bandwidth to launch an attack against a single website. I'd not be suprised if it didn't erradicate itself after the attack, or mount another.

It looks like a new school trick of DoS to me, stupid, but interesting.

A good idea for emails, has been since email was email, is to simply know who your communicating with.

Billy Gates¡K Why do you make this possible¡S Stop making money and fix your software¡T

If your computer shuts down few minutes after you switch it on, and receive the message, "Billy Gates¡K Why do you make this possible¡S Stop making money and fix your software", then your computer is infected.

How does it spread?

I already received 3 emails with viruses in them and I wonder if it's Blaster.

Your computer will be at risk every time you log on to the internet and surfing websites! It isn't spread by emails, which makes the virus spreading fast and difficult to detect.

I think you may be referring to W32.Mimail.A@mm, a virus spread by emails. The sender is admin@..., like admin@yahoo.com. I received 2 emails from admin@yahoo.com which contains virus.

One of my friend's computer was infected on Monday, the time when Norton Antivirus didn't even have virus defination of this new virus.

Blaster doesn't affect the files in your computer, but it reboots or shuts down your computer everytime you switch it on, which causes you lots of troubles.

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows XP
Systems Not Affected: Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT

I checked the files. Some friendly huy sent me 3 files with Klez.

I run two pc's using XP on a wireless network at home. Apparently this virus cannot penetrate a router and firewall, so if your properly secured, your fine.

Most people are probably not behind the safety of a router.

1. What is "Blaster" and how did it infect so many computers?

"Blaster", also known as "Lovsan" or "MSBlast", is a computer worm that was first discovered in August 2003. It infected computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system by exploiting a vulnerability in the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. This allowed it to spread quickly through networks and infect a large number of computers.

2. What were the consequences of the "Blaster" infection?

The "Blaster" worm caused significant damage to infected computers, including crashing systems, deleting critical files, and spreading to other computers on the same network. It also resulted in significant downtime and financial losses for individuals and businesses.

3. How did the "Blaster" infection affect the security industry?

The widespread and destructive nature of the "Blaster" infection highlighted the need for better security measures and prompted the development of new tools and technologies to prevent and combat similar attacks in the future. It also brought attention to the importance of regularly updating and patching computer systems to prevent vulnerabilities.

4. Who was responsible for creating the "Blaster" worm?

The creator of the "Blaster" worm has never been definitively identified. However, it is believed to have been created by a group of hackers or an individual hacker using the online pseudonym "TehWorm".

5. How can individuals and organizations protect themselves from future "Blaster" infections?

There are several ways to protect against future "Blaster" infections. These include regularly updating and patching computer systems, using firewalls and antivirus software, and being cautious when opening email attachments or clicking on suspicious links. It is also important to practice good cyber hygiene, such as using strong passwords and avoiding downloading files from unknown sources.