Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blaster infected lots of computers

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    I don't know where to post this thread but I think I better post here.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

The virus is spreading really fast and has already infected lots of computers here. This virus was found few days ago in USA. Some of my friends got this computer virus immediately after logging on to the internet!

Good luck everyone, especially those who use Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows NT :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2
  4. Aug 13, 2003 #3
    How does it spread?

5. Aug 13, 2003 #4

megashawn

Science Advisor

I read on yahoo news that it was going to use the infected computers to assualt www.windowsupdate.com on saturday.

I vote on waiting to clean it till sunday.

j/k

6. Aug 13, 2003 #5
    I don't give a damn about windowsupdate and the DoS it's planning. I give a damn about the fact that I already recieved 3 emails with viruses in them and I wonder if it's Blaster.

7. Aug 13, 2003 #6

megashawn

Science Advisor

Everything I've read about it says its virtually harmless, aside from the fact its going to use your cpu and bandwidth to launch an attack against a single website. I'd not be suprised if it didn't erradicate itself after the attack, or mount another.

It looks like a new school trick of DoS to me, stupid, but interesting.

A good idea for emails, has been since email was email, is to simply know who your communicating with.

8. Aug 13, 2003 #7
    Billy Gates¡K Why do you make this possible¡S Stop making money and fix your software¡T

If your computer shuts down few minutes after you switch it on, and receive the message, "Billy Gates¡K Why do you make this possible¡S Stop making money and fix your software", then your computer is infected.

Your computer will be at risk every time you log on to the internet and surfing websites!! It isn't spread by emails, which makes the virus spreading fast and difficult to detect.

I think you may be refering to W32.Mimail.A@mm, a virus spread by emails. The sender is admin@....., like admin@yahoo.com. I received 2 emails from admin@yahoo.com which contains virus.

One of my friend's computer was infected on Monday, the time when Norton Antivirus didn't even have virus defination of this new virus.

Blaster doesn't affect the files in your computer, but it reboots or shuts down your computer everytime you switch it on, which causes you lots of troubles.

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows XP
    Systems Not Affected: Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT

9. Aug 14, 2003 #8
    I checked the files. Some friendly huy sent me 3 files with Klez.

10. Aug 14, 2003 #9

megashawn

Science Advisor

I run two pc's using XP on a wireless network at home. Apparently this virus cannot penetrate a router and firewall, so if your properly secured, your fine.

Most people are probably not behind the safety of a router.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?