Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blind cave fish

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    So, i have a question, why would these fish continue to have eyes when they are born and loose it when they are older?, eventhough there is no particular advantage for them in the cave. Also these species have been separated from the surface fish (same species ) by about a million years according to the wikipedia article.

Are there other examples ? .
    what can be the possible explanations for this kind of phenotypic expression that disappears later in life of the species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_tetra

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2
  4. Jan 24, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Now that's a good question!

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see anywhere that says the blind fish have eyes early in life. Do you have a source for this?

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5
    In this paragraph from wikipedia -

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

From the wiki link the OP gave;
    The passage supplies "Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2006). "Astyanax jordani"" as a citation.

Regarding the growth of skin over the eyes; as far as I'm aware most cave dwelling species become blind not because they evolve to not have eyes but because the evolve to grow protective tissue. Eyes are vulnerable to damage either by something physical or infection/parasitism, a creature with a protective covering would have an advantage over one without especially in an environment that is too dark to see. As to why the tissue grows in later life it could be that this is just how the evolution has gone; creatures that grow tissue at some point in their lives (especially whilst becoming sexually mature) are more likely to proliferate than those that don't. Remember that evolution does not follow the most "logical" or best designed course, it may make more sense to have tissue over the eyes from birth but that hasn't happened either because there are barriers preventing it or making it less likely (barriers such as changes to embryological development decreasing fitness) or purely because of chance.

8. Jan 24, 2012 #7
    Not that i disagree with this, as the article states it is closely related to the surface fish and can interbreed with them. Is there a possibility, if the cave fish are put in a environment where light is abundant, would not develop a protective covering and function similar to the surface water fish.

9. Jan 24, 2012 #8

Ryan_m_b

I doubt it as the tissue growth is most likely developmental rather than a response to the environment.

10. Jan 26, 2012 #9
    For a similar reason that men have nipples, despite that they don't really serve any purpose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook