Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blind man detects emotion

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1263470.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
    I read about it in a Russian Sci-Fi magazine, and disregarded it as baloney. I guess I was wrong.

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems to be a credible report... I hope... :yuck:

5. Dec 14, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's published in Nature Neuroscience, it's credible. That's a top tier journal.

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds reasonable that the neurons that process body language and facial expression are different than those that produce direct imagery made up of lines and shapes and colors.

- Warren

7. Dec 14, 2004 #6
    is envy really green?
    I'll bet love is orange

8. Dec 15, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is similar to another thread about consciousness and humans: people aren't going to like it, but this suggests to me that a lot of what is normally attributed to human consciousness is, in fact, just the way our brains are wired. It shouldn't be surprising (I used the example of "highway hypnosis"), but people don't like the idea that most of what we do does not require conscious thought.

This has broad philosophical/spiritual implications.

9. Dec 15, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ,

I think it's actually a common belief among cognitive scientists that the human brain actually strives to automate as much as possible. When you're learning to drive, the task requires continuous conscious control, which is tiring and uses up a lot of energy. As you learn to drive, the brain learns to automates more and more of the task, thus making more efficient use of resources. Your brain doesn't like to waste expensive conscious thought on tasks that can be easily automated.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?