What Causes the "Blind Spot" in Vision?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the blind spot is formed by the optic nerve leaving the eye ball, causing a small region of vision to be missing. The brain compensates for this by pulling the edges of the blind spot together, giving the illusion of a seamless image. However, the brain is not a faithful recorder of reality and often hides or distorts information. The blind spot can be detected by moving a finger in front of the eye, and the brain organizes these anomalies to give a smooth perception of the world. Our central vision is overrepresented and occupies our attention, while the rest is more of a background noise.
Suraj M
Gold Member
I know that the blind spot is formed because of the optic nerve leaving the eye ball.
Consider this..
Now once your seeing through just one eye you are not able to identify a small region of your vision, so shouldn't it be just dark or black, rather you just see the surroundings as though there's nothing there its like our brain is trying to fill in the gap by feeding us false info(seeing the thinks around the missing region). How is that possible?

Biology news on Phys.org
Your brain doesn't fill in the gap, it pulls the edges of the blind spot together so you see no gap.

The thing to keep in mind is that the brain is not a faithful recorder of reality. It is designed to hide confusing, distracting things from you. You can't trust it.

Jay Ingram wrote a look called Theatre of the Mind that goes into this in great depth.

Likes nitsuj and Ryan_m_b
You can actually detect your blind spot by moving your finger around in front of your eye. There's a place you can configure it at where you are unable to see the tip of your finger. But DaveC is right, your brain compensates for this trivial biological anomaly among many others to give you a coherent picture of the world. Run a search on change blindness.

Likes Suraj M
But given that the blind spot is off centre, is that what's really happening? You can only really see clearly in a very small circle of attention, everything else is in your peripheral vision which is not at all clear. For example staring at the screen as I type I am aware of various other elements of the screen but I cannot see them clearly - it's largely a mush of colour and shapes. If I concentrate, I can see the blind spot blotting out one of the screen buttons, but generally speaking because you aren't really paying attention to things in your peripheral vision so an area of less clarity just blurs into the background. Normally with both eyes open of course your brain actually does have info for each blind spot, it's just coming from the other eye.

One thing that's important to realize is that the foveal representation of the retina in your striate cortex is grossly over-represented. But we really don't notice this. Again, our brains organize these anomalies to give us a smooth perception of our environs.

That's really interesting - I didn't realize the brain does so much adjusting of the input.

Although on reflection that's sort of what I was driving at - the central vision component is what occupies our attention and the rest is rather more of a background noise. We interpret that as a continuity but it isn't really in some respects.

1. What is the "blind spot" in vision?

The blind spot in vision, also known as the physiological blind spot, is an area in the retina where there are no light-sensitive cells. This results in a small portion of the visual field being undetectable to the brain.

2. Why does the blind spot occur?

The blind spot occurs due to the optic disc, where the optic nerve connects to the retina. This area lacks light-sensitive cells because it is the exit point for the nerve fibers that carry visual information to the brain.

3. Can the blind spot be seen?

No, the blind spot cannot be seen because the brain automatically fills in the missing information from the surrounding visual field. This is why we do not usually notice the blind spot in our everyday vision.

4. How big is the blind spot?

The size of the blind spot can vary among individuals, but on average, it is about the size of a pinhead or 1-2 degrees of visual angle. This means that it takes up a very small portion of our overall visual field.

5. Are there any potential problems associated with the blind spot?

In most cases, the blind spot does not cause any major issues with vision. However, in some cases, if the blind spot is larger than normal, it may cause difficulty with depth perception or reading. It is important to have regular eye exams to detect any potential problems with the blind spot.