1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bloch sphere and mixed stats

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is reduced density matrix ##\rho_A## and the Bloch vector representation for a state that is 50% ##|0 \rangle## and 50% ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|0 \rangle + |1 \rangle)##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't seen many (any?) examples of this so I'm trying to feel my way through it. So first matrix should be
    ##\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}##
    and the second:
    ##\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 1 \\
    1 & 1
    \end{bmatrix}##
    Both have a 50% chance so ##\frac{1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 1 \\
    1 & 1
    \end{bmatrix}+\frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}##
    Giving:
    ##\rho_A=\begin{bmatrix}
    \frac{3}{4} & \frac{1}{4} \\
    \frac{1}{4} & \frac{1}{4}
    \end{bmatrix}##

I think this is correct.

I'm not sure about the Bloch sphere portion. Can anyone give me some direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2014 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would look up the Bloch vector representation of spin-1/2 systems. In short, any
    Any [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] matrix can be expressed as a sum over the 4 basis matrices [itex]I,\sigma_{x},\sigma_{y}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{z}[/itex]. For convenience, we'll define [itex]\sigma_{0}=I[/itex] as the [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] identity matrix.

These matrices form an orthogonal basis with the inner product between two matrices defined as the trace of the product of the two matrices:
    [itex]Tr[\sigma_{i}\sigma_{j}]=2\delta_{ij}[/itex]

As an example, we can have a [itex]2\otimes 2[/itex] matrix [itex]A[/itex] expressed as
    [itex]A=a_{0} \sigma_{0} +a_{1}\sigma_{x}+a_{2}\sigma_{y}+a_{3}\sigma_{z}[/itex]

We can use the orthogonality of the basis matrices to find [itex]a_{0}[/itex] through [itex]a_{3}[/itex].

For example:
    [itex]a_{2}= \frac{Tr[A\sigma_{2}]}{Tr[\sigma_{2}\sigma_{2}]}[/itex]

Now for a density matrix, [itex]A=\rho[/itex], and [itex](a_{1},a_{2},a_{3})[/itex] form a vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] on the Bloch sphere. Once you know the components of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], you will have the Bloch vector of the spin-1/2 system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted