Can Bloch sphere be used to represent mixed states in quantum computation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the properties of a density matrix, particularly the parameter ##\rho##. The speakers consider different approaches, such as using the right part of the equation and the positivity of ##\rho##, but encounter difficulties. They also mention the importance of the Bloch sphere in quantum computation and provide some resources for further understanding. Eventually, with a hint from one of the speakers, they are able to solve the problem.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
From Nielsen's QC exercise 2.72:
Show that an arbitrary density matrix for a mixed state qubit may be written as
##\rho = \frac {I+ \vec r \cdot \vec \sigma} 2##,
where ##\vec r## is a real three-dimensional vector such that ##\| \vec r \| \leq 1##. This vector is known as the Bloch vector for the state ##\rho##
Relevant Equations
##\vec \sigma## are Pauli matrices
##\rho \equiv \sum_i p_i \left | \psi _i \right > \left < \psi_i \right |##
Well, I have no clues for this problem.

Since I can get nothing from the definition of ##\rho##, I tried from the right part.

Also, I know that ##\left ( \vec r \cdot \vec \sigma \right ) ^2={r_1}^2 {\sigma _1}^2+{r_2}^2 {\sigma _2}^2+{r_3}^2 {\sigma _3}^2##.

Plus, ##\rho## is positive; then I only need to show that ##\rho ^2=I^2+2 \vec r \cdot \vec \sigma +{r_1}^2 {\sigma _1}^2+{r_2}^2 {\sigma _2}^2+{r_3}^2 {\sigma _3}^2##.

Well, I'm stuck again.

Maybe I went the wrong direction?

Also, Are there any places I can find the solutions for Nielsen's book? I feel nervous that I can not check my solutions to see whether I'm right or not.

Oh, another question. I'm wondering, is Bloch sphere important in quantum computation? Maybe some references I should read? Nielsen's book doesn't introduce it comprehensively.

Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by showing that ##\rho## possesses all the properties of a density matrix, namely that the diagonal elements are all real, positive, and ##\leq 1## and
$$
\rho = \rho^\dagger
$$
$$
\mathrm{tr}(\rho) = 1
$$
$$
\mathrm{tr}(\rho^2) \leq 1
$$

I would then show that any 2x2 density matrix can be written by specifying ##\mathbf{r}## only.

Haorong Wu said:
Thanks, DrClaude.

Bloch sphere really makes me nervous.

(*_*)
It shouldn't :smile:. It is simply another way of looking at qubits.

DrClaude said:
I would start by showing that ##\rho## possesses all the properties of a density matrix, namely that the diagonal elements are all real, positive, and ##\leq 1## and
$$
\rho = \rho^\dagger
$$
$$
\mathrm{tr}(\rho) = 1
$$
$$
\mathrm{tr}(\rho^2) \leq 1
$$

I would then show that any 2x2 density matrix can be written by specifying ##\mathbf{r}## only.
Great! I solved the problem with your hint. Thanks, DrClaude. I can sleep well tonight.

1. What is a Bloch sphere for mixed states?

The Bloch sphere is a geometric representation of the state of a two-level quantum system, such as a qubit. It is a unit sphere where the north and south poles represent the pure states of the system, and all other points on the sphere represent the mixed states.

2. How is a mixed state represented on the Bloch sphere?

A mixed state is represented by a point on the surface of the Bloch sphere, rather than at the poles like a pure state. The distance of the point from the center of the sphere represents the degree of purity of the state, with a point at the center representing a completely mixed state.

3. What is the significance of the Bloch sphere for mixed states?

The Bloch sphere allows for a visual representation of the state of a quantum system, making it easier to understand and analyze. It also provides a way to calculate the state of a system after a measurement or manipulation.

4. How does the Bloch sphere for mixed states differ from the Bloch sphere for pure states?

The Bloch sphere for mixed states is a three-dimensional representation, while the Bloch sphere for pure states is a two-dimensional representation. Additionally, the Bloch sphere for mixed states includes all possible states of the system, while the Bloch sphere for pure states only includes the pure states.

5. Can the Bloch sphere for mixed states be extended to represent higher-dimensional quantum systems?

Yes, the Bloch sphere can be extended to represent higher-dimensional quantum systems, such as three-level or multi-qubit systems. However, the visualization becomes more complex and difficult to interpret as the dimension increases.