Understanding the Physical Meaning of Bloch State Wave Vector in Electrons

In summary, the k-vector for a Bloch state has multiple physical meanings. It describes the phase modulation and periodicity of the state, is conserved in an infinite perfectly periodic crystal, and in regions where the band is approximated as parabolic, it is equal to the true momentum of the electron. In this case, it can also be thought of as a "hole" with a negative charge that moves in the opposite direction of the k-vector.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

If we have a free electron with a certain wavenumber k, then this is equivalent to the momentum of the particle since [itex]p=\hbar k[/itex]. For an electron in a Bloch state, this is not the case. Apparently k is not the momentum of the electron. But what is the physical meaning of k for a Bloch state then ? Can I think of k as telling me the direction in which the electron is moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
k is the "pseudomomentum" or "crystal momentum" of the state. It is similar to the momentum in that it has a conservation law (up to modulo a reciprocal lattice vector, so this conservation law is violated for Umklapp processes). k does roughly tell you which direction the electron is moving, although the the true velocity is [tex]\nabla_k \varepsilon(k)[/tex] (I think there is a proof of this in an appendix of Ashcroft and Mermin). And there are some important cases where they are different. For instance, in the case of an electron in the valence band of a semiconductor near k = 0, you will find that there is a negative sign between velocity and k. This means that electron travel in the opposite direction of k, and is an indication that it may be easier to think in terms of holes rather than electrons.

I have a related question: the velocity of an electron in a bloch state is given by the gradient of [tex]E(k)[/tex], but the contribution to the current is given by the expectation value of the current density operator, which involves the bloch state wavefunction, and has no direct reference to [tex]E(k)[/tex].

I don't see the connection. Will this contribution to current density always be proportional to the velocity of the bloch state, and same direction?

OK, I see the connection now in Ashcroft and Mermin, appdx E. The two descriptions of velocity (current) are equivalent.

Now what about the physical meaning of the k-vector for a Bloch state? :-)

The physical meaning of k in the block state:

First, it describes the phase modulation of the Bloch state, i.e. its periodicity, wavelength, which is not the same as that of the lattice. It's a label for the quantum state (that's not really physical, but it's useful).

Second, it's something that's conserved in an infinite perfectly periodic crystal (except for arbitrary additions of a reciprocal lattice vector), and in processes that don't break that symmetry, so it's similar to true momentum.

Third, in regions where the band is approx. parabolic it is equal to the true momentum of the electron if we give the electron an effective mass that's related to the curvature of the parabola. This effective mass could be negative for negative curvature, so it accelerates to the left when a force is applied to the right. So we usually think of it as a "hole" (bubble) in a usually filled band, and instead assign a negative charge. Bubbles have "negative weight": they go up when gravity is down.

Last edited:

1. What is a Bloch state wave vector?

A Bloch state wave vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It represents the average momentum of an electron in a specific energy state within the lattice.

2. How is a Bloch state wave vector calculated?

The Bloch state wave vector is calculated by taking the difference between the electron's crystal momentum and the reciprocal lattice vector. This calculation takes into account the periodic nature of the crystal lattice.

3. What is the significance of the Bloch state wave vector?

The Bloch state wave vector is significant because it helps to explain the electronic band structure of a crystal. It allows us to understand the energy levels and momentum of electrons within a lattice, which is important in understanding the electrical and optical properties of materials.

4. How does the Bloch state wave vector relate to the concept of band gaps?

The Bloch state wave vector plays a role in determining the size and location of band gaps in a material's electronic band structure. It helps to define the energy levels and momentum states that are allowed and forbidden for electrons in a crystal lattice.

5. Can the Bloch state wave vector change in different materials?

Yes, the Bloch state wave vector can vary in different materials depending on their crystal structures and properties. It is a material-specific quantity that is determined by the periodicity of the crystal lattice and the energy levels of the electrons within it.