1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block 1 slides down and collides with block two pushing it onto a friction surface.

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Block 1 of mass m1 slides from rest along a frictionless ramp from height h = 3.1 m and then collides with stationary block 2, which has mass m2 = 5m1. After the collision, block 2 slides into a region where the coefficient of kinetic friction µk is 0.35 and comes to a stop in distance d within that region. What is the value of distance d if the collision is (a) elastic and (b) completely inelastic?

Answers
    (a) 0.984 m
    (b) 0.246 m

Relevant Equations
    m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2as (where s is the Δx)

This is what I attempted.
    I started the problem by working on part (b) first because it seemed that finding the distance traveled through and inelastic collision would be easier due to the shared final velocity. I know that,
    h = 3.1m
    m2 = 5m1
    μk = 0.35.

so I use the formula m1u1 + m2u2 = (m1 + m2)v. However, since block two has no initial velocity the equation becomes m1u1 = (m1 + m2)v. Replacing m1u1 with mgh I get,
    v(m1 + m2) = mgh
    v = m1gh/(m1 + m2)
    v = m1(9.8)(3.1)/(5m1+m1)
    v = 30.38m1/6m1
    v = 5.06

From there I use the kinematic equation
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2as
    knowing vf = 0 and, by searching the web I found that F = ma = -μkmg making, a = -μkg I plug in my knowns into the equation.
    s = -vi^2/-μkg
    s = -(5.06^2)/-0.35(9.8)
    s = 7.46

Now thank goodness I took geometry because 7.46 = 0.246 does not pass the reflexive property! A joke of course but this brings me to my question: what did I do wrong? Obviously something horrible which will dishearten physics lovers everywhere but please, show pity. I'm having difficulty understanding this.

Can somebody explain to me what I did wrong and what I should have done to get the right answer instead and why (especially why! Baby words please!). I will very much appreciate your help. Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Block 1 slides down and collides with block two pushing it onto a friction surfac

There's your problem. m1u1 is a momentum; mgh is an energy. You cannot set one equal to another.

Use mgh to find m1's speed at the bottom, then you can calculate m1u1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook