Understanding Velocity in a Massless, Frictionless Pulley System

In summary: If the pulley comes down by X, by how much is the length of the string between pulley and ground anchor reduced? So the length of the string to the left of the pulley has increased by ...?
rajumahtora

Homework Statement

Find V if the pulley is massless, friction less and
Can take any no of variables but V is be in terms of VP.Ignore gravity and other forces
attachment.php?attachmentid=66537&stc=1&d=1392225169.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
If Pulley comes down by X, the length of string towards left(the side not fixed) will increase by 2X
Therefore, If in same time pulley comes down by VP, String will increase at rate of V=2VP.
.'. the answer is V=2VP
But, The answer in key states V = VP(1+cosβ)
Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the pulley is hanging in the air, everything will come down very quickly. If it is attached to something fixed, and the lower right represents Earth -- which is generally considered fixed as well -- Any amount of V (what is it, actually?) won't have an effect, no matter what.

Please rewrite 1, 2 and 3. We will try to help, but this requires telepathy or clearsightedness,

Likes 1 person
I see you already have an answer. Now the questions. i.e. the question the problem asks and the question you are asking...

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
I see you already have an answer. Now the questions. i.e. the question the problem asks and the question you are asking...
Plz explain what do you want to say?
Is answer 2VP correct?

What I want to say is: 1. State the problem, list known variables and data. 2. List the relevant equations 3. Show what you've done so far and where you get stuck.

Do all three in such a way that someone else has a good chance to understand.

This soounds rude, but the idea is that the template is really useful to help both the one who is posting and potential helpers.

At the moment I can't help you because I can't understand the problem you want to solve, nor what is withholding you from solving it. I really want to help, make it possible!

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
What I want to say is: 1. State the problem, list known variables and data. 2. List the relevant equations 3. Show what you've done so far and where you get stuck.

Do all three in such a way that someone else has a good chance to understand.

This soounds rude, but the idea is that the template is really useful to help both the one who is posting and potential helpers.

At the moment I can't help you because I can't understand the problem you want to solve, nor what is withholding you from solving it. I really want to help, make it possible!
Modified The quesion.
I hope it will help u to understand my question.
I want to give u 100 thanks at once but forum rules restricts me to only one

The problem is not fully specified. I can justify two answers depending on what is supposed to be constant: the angle of the string or the direction of pull. To get the given answer, it has to be the direction of pull.
rajumahtora said:
If Pulley comes down by X, the length of string towards left(the side not fixed) will increase by 2X
If the pulley comes down by X, by how much is the length of the string between pulley and ground anchor reduced? So the length of the string to the left of the pulley has increased by ...?
That argument tells you how the free end moves relative to the pulley, but to get V you need to add in a component of the velocity of the pulley.
(If taking the constant angle of string interpretation, you would add the velocities as vectors instead.)

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
The problem is not fully specified. I can justify two answers depending on what is supposed to be constant: the angle of the string or the direction of pull. To get the given answer, it has to be the direction of pull.

If the pulley comes down by X, by how much is the length of the string between pulley and ground anchor reduced? So the length of the string to the left of the pulley has increased by ...?
That argument tells you how the free end moves relative to the pulley, but to get V you need to add in a component of the velocity of the pulley.
(If taking the constant angle of string interpretation, you would add the velocities as vectors instead.)
So for const direction of pull, is The answer is VP(2+cosβ) ?
If not, Plz tell me how to solve
PLZ

Last edited:
rajumahtora said:
So for const direction of pull, is The answer is VP(2+cosβ) ?
No, the given answer is correct for that case. You didn't answer my first two questions:

haruspex said:
No, the given answer is correct for that case. You didn't answer my first two questions:
1.Decreases by X
2.cant figure out

rajumahtora said:
1.Decreases by X
2.cant figure out
Does the string as a whole change length?

1. What is the relationship between block and pulley velocities?

The velocity of a block and pulley system is directly proportional. This means that as the block moves, the pulley will also move with the same velocity in the opposite direction.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the velocity of the block?

The more pulleys in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the faster the block will move. This is because the weight of the block is distributed across multiple pulleys, reducing the force needed to lift it and increasing its velocity.

3. Can the velocity of a block and pulley system be greater than the velocity of the block alone?

Yes, the mechanical advantage of a block and pulley system can increase the velocity of the block beyond what it would be without the pulleys. However, the work input and output will remain the same.

4. How does friction affect the velocity of a block and pulley system?

Friction can decrease the velocity of a block and pulley system by converting some of the mechanical energy into heat. This is why it is important to reduce friction in a system to increase efficiency and maintain a higher velocity.

5. Is the velocity of a block and pulley system affected by the weight of the block?

Yes, the velocity of a block and pulley system is affected by the weight of the block. A heavier block will require more force to lift, resulting in a slower velocity. This is why it is important to consider the weight of the load when designing a block and pulley system.