1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block and pulley

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to solve this problem and I can get one part but not the other. Here is the information I was given: A uniform, cylindrical pulley of mass M=3.30 kg and radius R=0.660 m rotates freely about a fixed horizontal axis. A block which moves downward is attached to a string of tension T=3.40 N which is wrapped around the pulley.

The first part asks me to find angular acceleration of the pulley which I was able to do with this equation I rearranged Ay = 2T/MR. When plugging in the numbers I got 3.12 rad/s^2.

The second part asks me to find the mass of the block which I have not been able to figure out. I've tried using these equations T = .5MAy and
    mg - .5MAy = mAy (rearranging them to find M). I was wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction to solve for the mass. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2006 #2
    i could be wrong on this, but ill give it a crack anyway

can you find the linear acceleration of the cylindrical block? THis linear acceleration is the related to the tension this way

ma = mg - T
    i think you can find the mass now

isnt the tension given to you at 3.40N??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?