1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block and Spring Problem

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I. A 2kg block is falling at a speed of 20 m/s and is 18 meters above the spring. The spring constant is 4134 N/m, to the nearest tenth of a cm how far is the spring compressed?

II. In the previous problem to the nearest hundredth of a meter to what height will the block rise after it hits and leaves the spring?

Can I get some direction on this problem? It really stumps me. I know the first one will lead to the second answer.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's conserved?
  4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    I have a similar problem that I am working on as well. I have a 2.0kg block dropped 48 cm onto a spring with a k(s) of 1600 J/m^2. I worked the first part of the problem to determine the potential energy(gravity) and kinetic energy before the block hit the spring. Now I am trying to work on the 2nd part to determine compression.

Does this help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?