Block and tackle system formula

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling to find a formula for a block and tackle system with three pulleys and an efficiency of 83.6%. They are seeking help and any thoughts or advice on the matter. The conversation ends with the person stating that they have found the answer and thanking everyone for their help. The main tips for solving the problem are to count the number of strands of rope and be aware of pulleys that only redirect force.
shelli8
Hi, I had some luck on this forum before, and here I am stumped again. Hey, I am just learning this stuff. I am not even necessarily looking for an answer, I can't find a formula for this one. It says "A block and tackle system has three pulleys in each of two blocks. If a downward effort of 100 N is applied and the machine has an efficiency of 83.6%, what is the maximum mass that can be moved?" The answers are in kgs. Any thoughts or ANYTHING appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Its okay, I got the answer.

thanks anyways!

In any case, there are basically 2 things to remember:

1. Count the number of strands of rope. Thats the factor you multiply force by and divide distance by (aka "mechanical advantage")
2. Be careful of pulleys that serve only to re-direct force, but don't add to the mechanical advantage.

Welcome to the board.

1. What is a block and tackle system?

A block and tackle system is a mechanical device that uses a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to multiply the force applied to a load. It is commonly used to lift heavy objects with less effort.

2. How does a block and tackle system work?

The system works by distributing the weight of the load between multiple pulleys, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load. The more pulleys in the system, the more the force is multiplied. The rope is looped through the pulleys, creating a mechanical advantage.

3. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of a block and tackle system?

The mechanical advantage (MA) of a block and tackle system is calculated by dividing the load weight by the effort force. MA = Load / Effort Force.

4. How do I determine the number of pulleys needed in a block and tackle system?

The number of pulleys needed depends on the weight of the load and the desired mechanical advantage. The more pulleys in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage. However, more pulleys also mean more friction and a longer rope length, which can reduce the efficiency of the system.

5. Can a block and tackle system be used to lift an infinite amount of weight?

No, a block and tackle system is limited by the strength of the rope and the physical capabilities of the user. The weight of the load must also be within the working load limit of the system. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and not exceed the weight limit of the system.