Which Equation Best Describes the Block's Height After a Bullet Impact?

In summary, the equation (m+M)gh+1/2ksh^2=1/2(m+M)V^2 would adequately be used to determine the height of the block after being hit by the bullet. The other two equations have missing components or incorrect variables.
Westin

Homework Statement

Which equation could adequately be used to determine how high the block goes after being hit by the bullet (a height h)? (see figure) (m+M)gh+ksh=1/2(m+M)V^2
(m+M)gh+1/2ksh^2=1/2(m+M)V^2
(m+M)v+ksh=(m+M)V

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
Ugrav=Mgh
PE of spring = 1/2ks(s^2 final - s^2 initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based off of the equations, I believe the answer should be the second equation. I don't understand what else it could be..

I have only one attempt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.32.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.32.26 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
Westin said:

Homework Statement

Which equation could adequately be used to determine how high the block goes after being hit by the bullet (a height h)? (see figure)(m+M)gh+ksh=1/2(m+M)V^2
(m+M)v+ksh=(m+M)V

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
Ugrav=Mgh
PE of spring = 1/2ks(s^2 final - s^2 initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based off of the equations, I believe the answer should be the second equation. I don't understand what else it could be..

I have only one attempt
Some of the variables in those equations need to be definrd for us.

I see L1, m, v, and h in the figure.

What are k, s, M, V, an s without k ? Is that ks rather than k⋅s ?

Maybe you could explain why you think it couldn't be the other two equations you excluded?

paisiello2 said:
Maybe you could explain why you think it couldn't be the other two equations you excluded?

Because the other two equations are missing components to their equations

SammyS said:
Some of the variables in those equations need to be definrd for us.

I see L1, m, v, and h in the figure.

What are k, s, M, V, an s without k ? Is that ks rather than k⋅s ?

1/2ks(s^2 final - s^2 initial)

ks = spring constant (k_s_)
(s^2 final - s^2 initial) = final stretch - initial stretch
v= velocity
m=mass1
M=mass2

Westin said:
Because the other two equations are missing components to their equations
And what components do these two equations have that are missing that the other one isn't?

paisiello2 said:
And what components do these two equations have that are missing that the other one isn't?
(m+M)gh+ksh=1/2(m+M)V^2 the spring constant should be 1/2ksh^2 not ksh
(m+M)v+ksh=(m+M)V Ugrav should be (m+M)gh instead of velocity multiplying the masses (m+M)v, also (m+M)V is missing V^2

I think you have your answer then.

1. What is the "Block and the Bullet" experiment?

The "Block and the Bullet" experiment is a thought experiment conducted by physicist Albert Einstein to demonstrate his theory of relativity. It involves a train moving at the speed of light and a bullet fired from the back of the train towards the front.

2. What is the purpose of the "Block and the Bullet" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to illustrate the concept of time dilation, which is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. It shows how time is perceived differently by an observer on the train and an observer outside the train.

3. How does the "Block and the Bullet" experiment demonstrate time dilation?

The experiment shows that the observer on the train perceives time as passing normally, while the observer outside the train sees time passing slower. This is due to the train's high speed, which causes time to slow down for objects in motion.

4. What are the implications of the "Block and the Bullet" experiment?

The experiment has significant implications for our understanding of time and space. It supports Einstein's theory of relativity and challenges the traditional concept of absolute time. It also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the "Block and the Bullet" experiment?

Yes, the Global Positioning System (GPS) is a real-world application of the principles demonstrated in the "Block and the Bullet" experiment. The satellites in the GPS system have to account for time dilation in order to accurately calculate and transmit location data to receivers on Earth.