Block Attached to Pulley Question

In summary, to solve the problem involving two blocks connected by a string and a pulley on a frictionless ledge, one must use Newton's laws of motion and free body diagrams to identify the variables and equations needed. The accelerations of the two blocks can be found by setting up two equations and using the fact that the accelerations will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. The correct answers for this problem are 2.5 m/s2 for the 20-kg block, 5.0 cm/s2 for the 5.0-kg block, and 25 N for the tension in the string.
AceK

Homework Statement

A 20-kg block with a pulley attached slides along a frictionless ledge. It is connected by a massless string through another pulley to a 5.0-kg block which hangs off the ledge. Find (a) the acceleration of each block, and (b) the tension in the connecting string.

Homework Equations

FNET=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up both free body diagrams with the x axes aligned with the direction of acceleration for each block. I then solved FNET X=max for each block, and acquired the tension (39.2 N) and acceleration (1.96 m/s2). My answer worked algebraically, but according to the answer in my book I made the misassumption that the two blocks had equal magnitudes of acceleration.

I attempted to solve the problem without assuming equal accelerations, and I ended up with two equations and three variables (T, ax1, and ax2) which I couldn't solve. According to my book, the answer for part (a) is 5.0 cm (?), and part (b) is a20=2.5m/s2, while a5=T=25N. I have had no luck at replicating or making any sense of these answers whatsoever. Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you have attempted to solve the problem and have encountered some difficulties. I would like to offer some guidance and suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, I would recommend going back to the basics and reviewing the concepts of Newton's laws of motion and free body diagrams. These are fundamental concepts that will help you understand and solve the problem more effectively.

When approaching a problem like this, it is important to clearly define the problem and identify the variables involved. In this case, we have a system of two blocks connected by a string and a pulley. The variables we are interested in are the accelerations of the two blocks and the tension in the string.

To solve for these variables, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, we have two objects (the 20-kg block and the 5.0-kg block), so we will have two equations.

The first equation will be for the 20-kg block and will involve the tension in the string and the acceleration of the block. The second equation will be for the 5.0-kg block and will involve the weight of the block and the tension in the string.

To solve for the accelerations, we can use the fact that the two blocks are connected by a string, so their accelerations will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is because the string is assumed to be massless and therefore the tension in the string will be the same at all points along its length.

Once you have the two equations, you can solve for the unknown variables. The answer in your book is correct, with the acceleration of the 20-kg block being 2.5 m/s2 and the acceleration of the 5.0-kg block being 5.0 cm/s2. These values can be verified by substituting them back into the equations and solving for the tension in the string, which should be equal to 25 N.

I hope this helps you better understand the problem and how to approach it. Remember to always go back to the basics and carefully define the problem and identify the variables involved. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a block attached to pulley question?

A block attached to pulley question is a physics problem that involves a block (a mass) connected to a pulley by a string or rope. These types of questions often require the use of principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of friction to solve.

2. How do I approach solving a block attached to pulley question?

The first step in solving a block attached to pulley question is to draw a free body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the block and pulley system. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the common variables in a block attached to pulley question?

The common variables in a block attached to pulley question include the mass of the block, the angle of the string or rope, the acceleration of the system, and the tension in the string. Other variables may include the coefficient of friction and the mass of the pulley itself.

4. How does the angle of the string or rope affect the system in a block attached to pulley question?

The angle of the string or rope can affect the system in a block attached to pulley question by changing the direction and magnitude of the tension force. As the angle increases, the tension force also increases, making it more difficult for the block to move.

5. What are some real-life applications of block attached to pulley questions?

Block attached to pulley questions can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as elevators, cranes, and pulley systems used in construction. These questions can also help in understanding the mechanics of simple machines and their applications in everyday life.