1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block compresses a spring, is released, travels down an friction incline. Final v?

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    A spring with a spring-constant 3.6 N/cm is compressed 39 cm and released. The 9 kg mass skids down the frictional incline of height 36 cm and inclined at a 20◦ angle. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. The path is frictionless except for a distance of 0.6 m along the incline which has a coefficient of friction of 0.4 .

What is the final velocity of the mass?

2. RELEVANT EQUATIONS
    Ko+Uo+Wnc=U+K
    kinematic equations
    ma=kx

3. MY ATTEMPT
    I tried kx=ma-->
    (3.6)(.39)=(9)a
    a=.156
    I put that into the kinematic equation v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)
    v^2=(0)^2+2(.156)(.39)
    got v=.3488266045 m/s (note: this would be vo for the overall equation and v only for the compression of the spring)

I put that into Ko in the Ko+Uo+Wnc=U+K equation-->
    .5(9)(.3488266045)^2+(9)(9.8)(.36)+[(.4)(9*9.8*cos20)](.6)(cos20)=0+.5(9)v^2
    solved for v and got 3.366216946 m/s but that isn't right...I think there is something wrong with the nonconservative work, but I'm not sure what...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: Block compresses a spring, is released, travels down an friction incline. Final v

I'm wondering about the 39 cm where the spring pushes the block. Is that 39 cm part of the incline? If so, it makes your kx=ma calc incorrect because a component of mg will also be acting. Might be easier to just include a 1/2kx^2 term in your conservation of energy equation.

Also, the cos(20) on the end of the friction term seems odd to me. What is it for?

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Re: Block compresses a spring, is released, travels down an friction incline. Final v

Yes that would make a lot more sense to just use Uspring+Ugravitational+Wnc=K. I didn't/don't know how to solve for Wnc, so I just used Ffriction*r*costheta, which brought me to the cos20...

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It says "distance of 6 cm along the incline" so it is just Ff*.06 with no cos(20). Keep in mind the faint possibility that it runs out of energy somewhere in the friction stretch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook