1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block diagram reduction

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    • Note -- you must show your work on schoolwork problems before we can offer tutorial help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have got 2 questions like this and I'm struggling any help would be much appreciated please. Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Just reduce loop by loop, inside out.

Use Masons rule. Rightmost inner "loop" is just an addition: G3 + G4.

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the quick response, I will try and understand what you've written and look at masons rule.

5. May 14, 2015 #4

Hesch

Gold Member

Masons rule says, that if you have a loop with a forward feeding block, G, and a negative back-feeding block, H, the transfer function of the reduced block will be:

G / ( 1 + G * H )

Now the leftmost inner block has positive feed back, so the transfer function for this loop will be:

( G1 * G2 ) / ( 1 - G1 * G2 * H1 )

6. May 14, 2015 #5
    Thanks very much for explaining this, now I've got to draw this out step by step. Much appreciated.

Thanks

John

7. May 18, 2015 #6
    Hi

So will the inner right loop be (G3 + G4) ?

Thanks

8. May 18, 2015 #7

Hesch

Gold Member

Yes: input*G3 + input*G4 = input*(G3+G4) = output.

Transfer function = output/input = (G3+G4).

9. May 18, 2015 #8
    Hi

So this is how it should look with the two transformations ?

Thanks for help

Attached Files:

10. May 19, 2015 #9

Hesch

Gold Member

It's not a transformation, it's a reduction of the Laplace transformed.

The reduced transfer function (leftmost inner loop) must be drawn as one block wherein there is a fraction: Numerator = (G1*G2), denominator = (1 - G1*G2*H1).

Otherwise your drawn transfer function will be read as: ( G1*G2 ) * ( 1 - G1*G2*H1 ).

11. May 19, 2015 #10
    Hi

Ok thanks very much for your help now the next question looks more involved.

12. May 19, 2015 #11
    Hi which I'm put would I start with as there are 3 ? Please thanks for your help

Attached Files:

13. May 19, 2015 #12

Hesch

Gold Member

Did you reduce the outer loop in the first question?

I don't quite understand your question ( maybe because I'm not american or english ): 3 of what? Inputs? Please reword your question.

Furthermore I don't understand what is meant by the question in 2): Describe the relationship . . . ?

You can "move" θd1 and θd2 backwards in the loop, dividing them with the transfer function they are passing by this movement. Doing this you will have one (parallel) input:

θi + ( θd1/G1 ) + ( θd2/(H2*G2*G1) ).

Having removed the inputs from the loop, you can reduce the loop, and multiply its transfer function by its 3 inputs in parallel.

( My best guess ).

Last edited: May 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted