How do I reduce the outer loop in the first question with 3 inputs?

In summary, the leftmost inner loop in the first question can be reduced using Mason's rule, and the three inputs it receives in parallel are multiplied by the transfer function.
John54321
Note -- you must show your work on schoolwork problems before we can offer tutorial help

Homework Statement

I have got 2 questions like this and I'm struggling any help would be much appreciated please. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-14-21-21-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-14-21-21-21.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Just reduce loop by loop, inside out.

Use Masons rule. Rightmost inner "loop" is just an addition: G3 + G4.

Thanks for the quick response, I will try and understand what you've written and look at masons rule.

Hesch said:
Use Masons rule.
Masons rule says, that if you have a loop with a forward feeding block, G, and a negative back-feeding block, H, the transfer function of the reduced block will be:

G / ( 1 + G * H )

Now the leftmost inner block has positive feed back, so the transfer function for this loop will be:

( G1 * G2 ) / ( 1 - G1 * G2 * H1 )

Thanks very much for explaining this, now I've got to draw this out step by step. Much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hi

So will the inner right loop be (G3 + G4) ?

Thanks

Yes: input*G3 + input*G4 = input*(G3+G4) = output.

Transfer function = output/input = (G3+G4).

Hi

So this is how it should look with the two transformations ?

Thanks for help

Attachments

• 1431958139684.jpg
    1431958139684.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 336
John54321 said:
So this is how it should look with the two transformations ?

It's not a transformation, it's a reduction of the Laplace transformed.

The reduced transfer function (leftmost inner loop) must be drawn as one block wherein there is a fraction: Numerator = (G1*G2), denominator = (1 - G1*G2*H1).

Otherwise your drawn transfer function will be read as: ( G1*G2 ) * ( 1 - G1*G2*H1 ).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Hi

Ok thanks very much for your help now the next question looks more involved.

Hi which I'm put would I start with as there are 3 ? Please thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-19-18-43-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-18-43-01.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 368
Did you reduce the outer loop in the first question?

John54321 said:
which I'm put would I start with as there are 3 ? Please thanks for your help

I don't quite understand your question ( maybe because I'm not american or english ): 3 of what? Inputs? Please reword your question.

Furthermore I don't understand what is meant by the question in 2): Describe the relationship . . . ?

You can "move" θd1 and θd2 backwards in the loop, dividing them with the transfer function they are passing by this movement. Doing this you will have one (parallel) input:

θi + ( θd1/G1 ) + ( θd2/(H2*G2*G1) ).

Having removed the inputs from the loop, you can reduce the loop, and multiply its transfer function by its 3 inputs in parallel.

( My best guess ).

Last edited:

1. What is a block diagram reduction?

Block diagram reduction is a method used to simplify complex control systems by reducing multiple blocks into a single block. It involves combining blocks in series and parallel to reduce the overall complexity of a system.

2. Why is block diagram reduction important?

Block diagram reduction is important because it allows engineers and scientists to better understand and analyze complex systems. By simplifying the system, it becomes easier to identify key components and relationships, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

3. How is block diagram reduction performed?

Block diagram reduction is performed through a series of algebraic manipulations. The goal is to manipulate the blocks and their connections in a way that reduces the overall complexity of the system while maintaining the same input-output relationship.

4. What are the benefits of using block diagram reduction?

Using block diagram reduction can provide several benefits, including a better understanding of the system, simplified analysis and design processes, and improved system performance. It can also save time and resources by reducing the need for complicated calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to block diagram reduction?

While block diagram reduction can be a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It may not be suitable for highly complex systems with many interconnected blocks, and it relies on simplifying assumptions that may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not be effective for systems with nonlinear components.