1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block down ramp colliding with spring

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    A 3.2-kg block is released 34m from a massless spring with force constant 178N/m that is fixed along a frictionless plane inclined at an angle of 27° above the horizontal. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

This is what I have tried so far.
    equation (1) (1/2 mv^2) = (1/2 kx^2)

equation (2) (1/2 mv^2)=d*mg(sin theta)

i used equation (2) to solve for v.
    then using that value of v i solved (1)

my answer for x=2.333 meters, however that is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In calculating the gravitational PE, don't forget to include the distance the block falls in compressing the spring a distance X.

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    ok, i think i understand the concept of that, but I'm not sure how I would set that up in equation form. Because gravity works in the y-component, would i have to use 2 equations. 1 to include for the y-distance the spring compresses and another to solve for the total compression in the sin (theta) component of the spring? If that was the case then I dont know how to set those up because i am trying to solve for maximum compression and in the first equation i woul dneed to know that.

5. Oct 11, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Think of it this way: How far does the block slide? d = 34m + x. (x = how far the spring compresses.) Use energy conservation: Intial energy (gravitational PE) = final energy (spring PE). You'll get a quadratic equation.

Hint: measure gravitational PE from the lowest point.

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5
    i set up the problem like this
    U=mg(h+x sin (theta))
    Uspring=1/2 k x^2

so mg(h+x sin (theta)) = 1/2 kx^2?

solving for x, x1=1.1331, x2=-1.0965
    those are both wrong.

7. Oct 11, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Ugrav = mgd sin(theta), where d = 34m +x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?