How can the falling block problem be solved using conservation equations?

In summary: Then, if you use the principle of virtual work, you can use the equation: W = mgh – (Iω2 + ω2) So, in summary, the problem is that there is a block that is leaning over at the top such that when the top anchors are cut it will fall off of the ledge. I need to determine how far the block falls from the wall and the velocity of the block when it hits the ground 45 feet below to calculate an impulse.
sbouvia

Homework Statement

The problem consists of a block that starts off on a ledge. It has an initial vertical imperfection ie it is leaning over at the top such that when the top anchors are cut it will fall off of the ledge. I need to determine how far the block falls from the wall and the velocity of the block when it hits the ground 45 feet below to calculate an impulse.

Homework Equations

I think the relevant equations are the relative general plane motion about a translational and a rotational axis. Neglecting the sliding of the block off of the ledge as it moves outward.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a FBD and then I started to use rigid body motion about a fixed axis but then concluded that would not work. I have been stuck for two weeks and this forum is my last hope. Thanks

Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Scott! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(i'm not sure i understand exactly what the set-up is, but …)

if the block is balanced on its edge, on the edge of the shelf, and it starts to rotate about that edge until it loses contact,

then you need to use conservation of energy (both linear and rotational) to find the speed of the centre of mass just as it loses contact …

from then on, it's freely falling, so of course use the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:

Yes, the block is just barely off the edge of the table, and it starts out with an initial tilt, being held back by wires at the top. The wires are then cut and the block is allowed to move off of the table. Could you possibly start me up with the conservation equations, I think I know which ones to start using, however it has been a while since I have used any of those principles. Thanks for your reply

Scott

sbouvia said:
Yes, the block is just barely off the edge of the table, and it starts out with an initial tilt, being held back by wires at the top. The wires are then cut and the block is allowed to move off of the table. Could you possibly start me up with the conservation equations

Well, the initial equation is just mgh + 1/2 Iω2 = constant, where I is the moment of inertia about the edge of the table, and ω is the angular velocity.

1. What causes a block to fall off of a wall?

Blocks can fall off of a wall due to various factors, including weak or unstable construction, structural damage, environmental conditions such as wind or seismic activity, or human error.

2. How can we prevent blocks from falling off of walls?

To prevent blocks from falling off of walls, it is important to ensure proper construction techniques are used, such as using strong and secure materials, following building codes and regulations, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the wall for any structural issues.

3. Can the weight or size of a block affect its likelihood of falling off a wall?

Yes, the weight and size of a block can greatly impact its stability on a wall. Heavier and larger blocks may put more strain on the wall and increase the risk of them falling off. It is important to consider the weight and size of blocks when constructing a wall and ensure they are properly supported.

4. What should I do if I notice a block is loose on a wall?

If you notice a block is loose on a wall, it is important to address the issue immediately. This can include reinforcing the block with additional support, repairing any damage to the wall, or consulting a professional for further assistance.

5. Are there any warning signs that a block may fall off of a wall?

Some warning signs that a block may fall off of a wall include cracks or damage to the wall near the block, shifting or movement of the block, or the block appearing loose or unsecured. It is important to regularly inspect walls for any signs of instability to prevent accidents.