1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block falls on Spring! Work and Speed!

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    A block of mass 240 grams is dropped onto a relaxed vertical spring that has a spring constant 11 N/cm as shown on the figure. The block becomes attached to the spring and compresses the spring 15 cm before momentarily stopping.

First Conversions:
    240g = .24kg, 11 N/cm = 1100 N/m, 15cm = .15m

While the spring is being compressed, what work is done on the block by the gravitational force on it?

.24kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 2.352 N
    2.352 N * .15m = .3528 J -> This is definitley correct

What work is done on the block by the spring force?

Work done over distance via a function so use integration:

W = 0 to .15m ( 1100N/m x dx ) =
    W = 0 to .15m ( 1100N/m x^2/2 )
    W = (.15m)^2 / 2 * 1100N/m ) = 12.375 J -> No idea if this is right.

What is the speed of the block just before it hits the spring? (Assume that friction is negligible.)

This is where I have problems, I have NO idea how to find the speed of the block. I don't know how high it falls from, I tried using 9.8m/s^2 as an accel and VF = 0 in vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, but no go, can anyone shed light on this part?

If the speed at impact is doubled, what is the maximum compression in the spring?

No idea on this either, I don't know the answer to part 3 is probably why.

Any help on this would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2
    I managed to get part 3 and 4, but the Part 2 with 12.375 J is still wrong, It looks perfect to me, did I miss something?

4. Feb 1, 2005 #3
    Got it all even though no one helps, thanks anyway lol, someone delete this please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?