Block form of the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N)

In summary, the "block form" of the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) refers to the specific arrangement of these generators in a matrix, with blocks corresponding to different subgroups of SU(2N). These generators are also a basis for the Lie algebra of SU(2N) and have a dimension of 2N. They are related to the generators of the adjoint representation through the adjoint action. The block form is significant in the study of SU(2N) as it allows for a more systematic approach and simplifies calculations.
Esbilon

Homework Statement

I am calculating the corrections to the beta functions of a quite general SU(N) gauge-yukawa theory coming from coupling an electro-weak (SU(2)xU(1)) sector similar to that of the Standard Model.

To do this, I need to calculate
[tex]
S'^r_{ab}T^A_{bc}T^B_{ca}S'^r_{de}T^C_{ef}T^D_{fd},
[/tex]
where i use the Einstein summation convention, [itex]\delta_{bc}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta function, [itex]T^0_{bc}=\frac{\delta_{bc}}{\sqrt{4N}}[/itex], [itex]T^A_{bc}[/itex] is a generator of the fundamental representation of SU(2N), [itex]S'^r[/itex] is block diagonal with the r'th pauli matrix in each of the blocks, [itex]A, B, C, D=0,1,...,4N^2-1[/itex] and [itex]a, b, c, d, e, f=1,2,...,2N[/itex].

Homework Equations

Since, this is the fundamental representation of SU(2N), we have
[tex]
T^A_{ac}T^B_{ca}=C_2(2N)=\frac12.
[/tex]
I will also use the Fierz Identity
[tex]
T^A_{ab}T^A_{cd}=C_2(2N)\delta_{ad}\delta_{bc},
[/tex]
which for the case of SU(2) can also be written
[tex]
\sigma^r_{\alpha\beta}\sigma^r_{\gamma\delta}=2\delta_{\alpha\delta}\delta_{\beta\gamma}-\delta_{\alpha\beta}\delta_{\gamma\delta},
[/tex]
where [itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma,\delta=1,2[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I decompose the block diagonal matrix
[tex]
S'^r_{ab}=S'^r_{\alpha k,\beta l}=\sigma^r_{\alpha\beta}\delta_{kl},
[/tex]
where [itex]k,l=1,2..,N[/itex], and I then use this and the Fierz identity above to write
\begin{align}
S'^r_{ab}S'^r_{cd}=S'^r_{\alpha k,\beta l}S'^r_{\gamma m,\delta n}&=\sigma^r_{\alpha\beta}\delta_{kl}\sigma^r_{\gamma\delta}\delta_{mn}\\
&=2\delta_{\alpha\delta}\delta_{\beta\gamma}\delta_{kl}\delta_{mn}-\delta_{\alpha\beta}\delta_{\gamma\delta}\delta_{kl}\delta_{mn}\\
&=2\delta_{\alpha\delta}\delta_{\beta\gamma}\delta_{kl}\delta_{mn}-\delta_{ab}\delta_{cd},
\end{align}
where I have recomposed the indices. Now my problem is that the first quartet of deltafunctions cannot be recombined using the same indices, so I've been trying to find out if it is possible, for a general N, to decompose the generators of SU(2N) in a similar form, that is find any objects U, V, and W such that
[tex]
T^A_{ab}=T^A_{\alpha k, \beta l}=U^{ABC}V^B_{\alpha\beta}W^C_{kl}.
[/tex]

I've been working with this notation way too much, so feel free to ask questions if I'm being unclear ;-).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest approaching this problem by first breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. It seems like the main issue here is finding a way to decompose the generators of SU(2N) in a similar form to the one given for SU(2). So, my suggestion would be to focus on this step first and see if you can come up with a general method for decomposing the generators for any value of N.

One approach could be to look at the structure of the generators for different values of N and see if you can find any patterns or relationships that hold true. Another approach could be to use mathematical tools such as group theory to help you break down the problem.

Once you have a general method for decomposing the generators, the rest of the calculation should follow more easily. Good luck!

1. What is the "block form" of the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N)?

The "block form" refers to the specific arrangement of the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) in a matrix. This arrangement is characterized by having blocks of matrices, with each block corresponding to a specific subgroup of SU(2N).

2. How are the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) related to the Lie algebra of SU(2N)?

The generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) are a basis for the Lie algebra of SU(2N). This means that any element in the Lie algebra can be expressed as a linear combination of the generators.

3. What is the dimension of the fundamental representation of SU(2N)?

The dimension of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) is 2N. This means that the generators of the fundamental representation can be expressed as a 2N x 2N matrix.

4. How are the generators of the fundamental representation of SU(2N) related to the generators of the adjoint representation?

The generators of the fundamental representation and the adjoint representation of SU(2N) are related through the adjoint action. This means that the generators of the fundamental representation can be obtained by taking the derivative of the adjoint action with respect to the group parameters.

5. What is the significance of the block form of the generators in the study of SU(2N)?

The block form of the generators is significant in the study of SU(2N) because it allows for a more systematic and organized approach to understanding the structure and properties of the group. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to identify patterns and relationships between different subgroups of SU(2N).