Block hanging from cord submerged in water, find density

In summary, the block weighs 2.5 kg and the volume of the displaced liquid is 0.0030 m^3. The spring balance and the kitchen scales read 2.5 kg and 7.5 kg, respectively.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

A block hangs by a cord from a spring balance and is submerged in a liquid contained in a beaker. The beaker in turn rests on a kitchen scales. The mass of the beaker is 1 kg, the mass of the liquid is 1.5 kg. The spring balance read 2.5 kg and the kitchen scales reads 7.5 kg. The volume of the block is 0.0030 m^3.
(a)What is the mass per unit volume of the liquid?
(b) What will the spring balance and the kitchen scales read if the block is pulled up out of the liquid?

Homework Equations

Fb = weight of displaced liquid = ρgV = mg
mass of displaced liquid=mass of block
Volume of displaced liquid = volume of block

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I'm a little confused with respect to the masses shown by the scales, how is the kitchen scales showing such a big reading? Where is it coming from? Part a wants the density, I already know the volume of the block = volume of displaced liquid, just need to figure out the mass.
Not sure of part b.

I have another hunch. If we subtract the mass of the beaker and that of the liquid from the kitchen scales mass we get 7.5-(1.5+1) = 5kg and I presume this is the mass of the block and the displaced liquid? Then we subtract the mass of the block which is 2.5 kg as shown by the spring balance I presume from 5 kg to get 5-2.5 = 2.5 kg as the mass of the displaced liquid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
For part a I'm a little confused with respect to the masses shown by the scales, how is the kitchen scales showing such a big reading? Where is it coming from?
What determines the kitchen scale reading?

Try doing an analysis of all forces acting on the "system" (beaker + liquid + block). What must those forces add to?

The kitchen scales reading is the mass of all 3 combined and the displaced liquid?
The downward force must be the weight of all 3 combined and the upward force is the upthrust or the buoyancy?

Taniaz said:
The kitchen scales reading is the mass of all 3 combined and the displaced liquid?
What about that cord, which is pulling up?

Taniaz said:
The downward force must be the weight of all 3 combined and the upward force is the upthrust or the buoyancy?
Do this: Draw an imaginary box around the "system". Identify all forces acting on the system. (One of them will be the force exerted by the kitchen scale.)

Oh yes you're right, so the kitchen scale reading is the sum of 5 things?

So one will be the force exerted by the kitchen scale on the box, the weight and the tension in the string?

Taniaz said:
So one will be the force exerted by the kitchen scale on the box, the weight and the tension in the string?
Yes. And what must the net force on the system be? Set up an equation that adds up all those forces. (There will only be one unknown--the one you want to solve for.)

The net force should be 0?
So T+N = w where t is the tension, N is the force by the kitchen scales on the system and w is the combined weight
T will be 25 N? N will be 75N? and weight is the weight of the block, liquid and beaker? With the only unknown being the weight of the block?

Taniaz said:
The net force should be 0?
So T+N = w where t is the tension, N is the force by the kitchen scales on the system and w is the combined weight
T will be 25 N? N will be 75N? and weight is the weight of the block, liquid and beaker? With the only unknown being the weight of the block?
Good! (Since they are expressing the forces in terms of kilograms, that means that you'd multiply them all by g to get Newtons. But since they are all multiplied by g, the gs cancel.)

So we simply say
2.5 kg+ 7.5kg= (m of block + 1 kg + 1.5 kg)
so m=7.5 kg
since mass of block =mass of displaced liquid
and volume of block=volume of displaced liquid for density=m/V= 7.5/0.003 =2500 kg/m^3.
but how can the mass of the block equal the mass on
the kitchen scale? That doesn't make sense for part b.

Edit: for part b, I think the spring balance will read the same but I'm not sure what the kitchen scale will read

Last edited:
Taniaz said:
So we simply say
so m=7.5 kg
and volume of block=volume of displaced liquid for density=m/V= 7.5/0.003 =2500 kg/m^3.
Looks good to me.

Taniaz said:
but how can the mass of the block equal the mass on
the kitchen scale? That doesn't make sense for part b.
Why not? Just happens that the upward force of the tension cancels the weight of the beaker + liquid. So what?

Taniaz said:
Edit: for part b, I think the spring balance will read the same but I'm not sure what the kitchen scale will read
Why do you think the spring balance will read the same?

Do the same kind of force analysis for part b. Note that the block is totally removed from the liquid now, so there's no longer an interaction between them.

No actually once it's removed, for the cord and the block there will be just 2 forces: Tension and weight of the block and for the beaker, liquid and kitchen scales, there will be the weight of the beaker and the liquid and the force by the kitchen scales so N= w which implies that 1.5+1=2.5 kg for the kitchen scales and T=w so 7.5 kg for the spring balance?

Taniaz said:
No actually once it's removed, for the cord and the block there will be just 2 forces: Tension and weight of the block and for the beaker, liquid and kitchen scales, there will be the weight of the beaker and the liquid and the force by the kitchen scales so N= w which implies that 1.5+1=2.5 kg for the kitchen scales and T=w so 7.5 kg for the spring balance?
Yes, you've got it.

Thank you! :)

Taniaz said:
So we simply say
so m=7.5 kg
OK

Why would this be true?

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
Why would this be true?
Good catch. Luckily that statement wasn't used in the calculation.

Taniaz said:
The calculation is fine, but that verbiage surrounding it needs correction. (I should have done that earlier.)

The mass of the block you had just calculated. That has nothing to do with the mass of displaced liquid.

And the volume of the block was given. So you correctly calculated the density using m/V. No need for displaced liquid at this point.

But part (a) asks for the density of the fluid.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
But part (a) asks for the density of the fluid.
Yikes. You're right. I noted that, but then forgot all about it. :sorry:

That's the only part of the question that requires understanding buoyancy too! D'oh!

Likes Vibhor
Doc Al said:
Yikes. You're right. I noted that, but then forgot all about it.
I'm finding myself doing the same sort of thing more and more lately. I'm going to blame the hot, humid weather we're having. :woot:

Likes Taniaz and Vibhor
@Taniaz, I'm going to mark this one unsolved. Sorry that I was asleep at the wheel. (That's why we pay TSny the big bucks! :smile:)

OK, you correctly solved for the mass of the block. Now do a force analysis of the submerged block. Set up another equation. This time you'll need to make use of your knowledge of buoyant forces. The only unknown will end up being the density of the liquid.

Sorry for dropping the ball!

Likes Vibhor
Buoyant force=weight
ρgV=mg
so ρV=m but I'll get the same thing with this? V=volume of block and m=mass of block?
Oh there will be tension too?
so T+ρgV=mg?

Last edited:
Taniaz said:
Buoyant force=weight
ρgV=mg
so ρV=m but I'll get the same thing with this? V=volume of block and m=mass of block?
No. The buoyant force will only equal the weight of the object when the object is in equilibrium without anything else supporting it (like a cord!).

Taniaz said:
Oh there will be tension too?
so T+ρgV=mg?
That's it. Good! Now you can solve for ρ.

So tension is 25 N, g=10 m/s^2, V=0.003 m^3, m=7.5 kg
so solving for ρ= 1666 kg/m^3

Taniaz said:
So tension is 25 N, g=10 m/s^2, V=0.003 m^3, m=7.5 kg
so solving for ρ= 1666 kg/m^3
Looks good.

Great! Thank you so much Doc Al and TSny! :)

1. How does the density of the block affect its buoyancy in water?

The density of an object determines how buoyant it is in water. If the density of the block is greater than the density of water, it will sink. If the density of the block is less than the density of water, it will float.

2. What factors affect the density of the block?

The density of an object is affected by its mass and volume. The more mass an object has, the denser it will be. Similarly, the more volume an object has, the less dense it will be.

3. How do you calculate the density of the block?

The density of an object is calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. In this experiment, the mass of the block can be measured using a scale, and the volume can be calculated by measuring its dimensions and using the formula for the volume of a rectangular prism (length x width x height).

4. Why is it important to submerge the block in water when measuring its density?

Submerging the block in water allows us to determine its volume accurately. When an object is submerged in water, it displaces a volume of water equal to its own volume. This can be used to calculate the volume of the block and thus its density.

5. How can the density of the block be used to determine its material?

The density of a substance is a characteristic property that can be used to identify the material it is made of. By comparing the density of the block to the densities of known materials, we can determine the material of the block.