Find Kinetic Friction of a Block Pushed Up an Incline

In summary, the conversation discusses a block being projected up an incline and returning to its initial position with half its initial speed. It is shown that the coefficient of kinetic friction can be expressed as μk = (3/5)tan(theta). The participants use the work-energy theorem to solve the problem and discuss using equations for the force of friction and normal force. They also provide guidance on how to properly start and solve the problem.
muddy510
A block is projected up an incline making an angle theta with the horizontal. It returns to
its initial position with half its initial speed. Show that the coefficient of kinetic friction is
μk = (3/5)tan(theta)

(For a 'properly formatted' version of the question, see number 3 on the attached .pdf)2.
Not entirely sure. I think it may be possible to solve this using work-energy equations or kinetics.3.
Normal Force is mgcos(theta)
How should I properly start this problem?
Thank you for your consideration.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Saturday+_2-26_+Review+Session+Questions.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi muddy51! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, use the work energy theorem …

call the height h, and the initial speed v, and do two work-energy equations, one for the way up, one for the way down …

what do you get? :smile:

One way to start it is to look first at the motion up the plane, then look next at the motion down the plane. For each case, use the equation noting the fact that the work done by friction is equal to the change in the mechanical energy of the system. Then solve the 2 equations to determine the friction coefficient. You'll get a bunch of terms that you can cancel out.

Thank you both for the guidance. I was able to solve the problem. Is it policy that I post the solution?

no! (unless you're still worried about something) :wink:

see you around! :smile:

the kinetic energy back where it started is half the potential energy at its projected hieght. so, if mgcostheta is the normal force then the force down below would be half that right? if cos of 30 is Square root of 3 divided by 2 then half that is the square root of three which is the tangent of 60. any other ideas?

I meant the force applied is half of the potential energy and the gravitational force at the maximum height.

if we draw it out then the vector representing the applied 1/2 force would be 1/2 of the downward vector, therefor, finding applied force would be 1/2 of the gravitational force at maximum height which would be cos theta times mass times 9.81. 1/2 that would be the applied force, which is somehow involved in tangent. You have any ideas for this?

Hi I'm new to threads I came across a similar question in my homework problems and am still unsure on how to solve it! I unerstand you need to set up two equations for up and down the hill but how do you incorperate the angle into the equations? Any help would be appreciated I'm a little lost!

Last edited by a moderator:

oh okay i understand that i just don't quite understand what my equations would look like. I'm pretty sure i have to use force calculations but not sure how to put it all together

show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

alright this is what i got so far!
going up the hill: Fnetx=Fapplied-Ffriction-Fgsinθ
Fnety=Fn-Fgcos
going down the hill: Fnetx=Fapplied-Ffriction+Fgsin
Fnety=Fn-Fgcos

i tried islating for the force of friction but i ended up getting a big mess of equations!
am i going in the right direction, and guidance would help:)

hi penguin87! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
penguin87 said:
going up the hill: Fnetx=Fapplied-Ffriction-Fgsinθ
Fnety=Fn-Fgcos
going down the hill: Fnetx=Fapplied-Ffriction+Fgsin
Fnety=Fn-Fgcos

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, that's ok so far, except that Fapplied is zero

after the initial https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=340" (shove), there's no applied force :wink:

Thank you so much that was throwing off my equation completely!
so i now solved that Fn=Fgcosθ
and when i solved for Fk i got -sinθ

my final answer for μ= -tanθ
does that make sense?

hi penguin87! :smile:
penguin87 said:
so i now solved that Fn=Fgcosθ
and when i solved for Fk i got -sinθ

what's Fk ? :confused:
my final answer for μ= -tanθ
does that make sense?

nooo … i think you've put Fnet = 0 :redface:

Fnet will be negative (both uphill and down hill), won't it? :wink:

try again :smile:

sorry i made the force of kinetic friction equal to Fk!
and i made Fnet = -ma in both directions

then i turned a=v/t and velocity in the downwards direction was 1/2 of that in the upward direction!

it doesn't seem like my reasoning makes any sense and so I am getting the wrong answer

It returns to
its initial position with half its initial speed.
penguin87 said:
sorry i made the force of kinetic friction equal to Fk!
and i made Fnet = -ma in both directions

then i turned a=v/t and velocity in the downwards direction was 1/2 of that in the upward direction!

it doesn't seem like my reasoning makes any sense and so I am getting the wrong answer

sorry, i don't follow what you've done :confused:

you should be getting aup and adown as a function of θ,

then you can use one of the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations to find the distance moved (ie when v = 0), then another equation to find vfinal after the same distance down :smile:

alternatively, it would be easier to start as i said in post #2 …​
tiny-tim said:
use the work energy theorem …

call the height h, and the initial speed v, and do two work-energy equations, one for the way up, one for the way down …

what do you get? :smile:

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is already in motion. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of two objects that are in contact with each other.

2. How is the kinetic friction of a block pushed up an incline calculated?

The kinetic friction of a block pushed up an incline can be calculated using the formula Fk = μk * N, where Fk is the kinetic friction force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the kinetic friction of a block on an incline?

The kinetic friction of a block on an incline is affected by the coefficient of kinetic friction, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. Other factors such as the surface roughness and temperature can also have an impact.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the kinetic friction?

The angle of the incline affects the kinetic friction by changing the normal force acting on the block. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, which results in a decrease in the kinetic friction force.

5. Can the kinetic friction of a block on an incline be reduced?

Yes, the kinetic friction of a block on an incline can be reduced by using a lubricant between the surfaces, increasing the angle of the incline, or using a smoother surface. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object can also decrease the kinetic friction force.