1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block movement - dynamics

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys. First of all, great forum you've got here.

I have a problem and I hope you can help me with this one.

Block of mass m lies on a rough horizontal surface. In the period 0 - t1, the block is moving due to the force F(t), which varies depending on the time. In period t1 - t2 we only have friction (F=0), and the block in the time t2 has speed v2=1 m/s. I have to find time t2, acceleration in t2 (a2) and distance s2. I also have to draw a, v, t diagrams.

2. Relevant equations

m2v⃗ -m1v⃗ 1=∫F(t)⃗ dt

3. The attempt at a solution

9q9w6b.jpg

my formula in mathcad

uvvx3.jpg

I'm stuck with this integration. I understand that the first part (F*cos(60°)) is the area under the curve - √2 *m*g

I hope you guys can help. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    wow, 400 views and no reply lol

I was quite busy today but I tried a different approach.
    First, I only calculated the part from 0 to t1 with that Impulse formula and the speed v1 (@ t1) is 4.346 m/s.

Then, since the force is F=0, I have Fn=m*g (y axis), and Frx=-μ*m*g (x axis).
    And when I try to calculate this part, I get a weird result -> t2=0.394 s lol.
    IDK, this could only make sense if the real t2 time would be √2+0.394=1.808 seconds

:blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook