1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block Multiplication

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    Can someone explain "block multiplication" to me? It's not in the book, except in the context of a question as follows:

So the rule is that Matrix [A B] * colum matrix [C D] = [AC+BD] And I am supposed to verify it. but can I just ask how I would go about doing that since I really don't know what block multiplication does or what I'm supposed to multiply? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Block multiplication" means that in your example A B C and D are matrices, not scalars. The dimensions of A B C and D must be compatible with each other, so the matrix expression AC + BD is defined. The row dimension of A is the same as the column dimension of C, etc.

Verify it by showing it gives the same answer as the standard definition of matrix multiplication. Write A as an array of scalars [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] and so on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?