1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a Cylinder, using Lagrange's Equation

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hard rubber cylinder of radius r is held fixed with its axis horizontal, and a wooden cube of mass m and side 2b is balanced on top of the cylinder, with its center vertically above the cylinder's axis and four of its sides parallel to the axis.

Assuming that b < r, use the Lagrangian approach to find the angular frequency of small oscillations about the top.

2. Relevant equations
    T (kinetic energy) = (1/2)(mv^2 + I[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])
    I (moment of inertia about the center of mass) = (2mb^2)/3
    U (potential energy)= mg[(r + b)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + r[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]]

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, what would be nice would be to write the coordinates of the center of mass. I can differentiate that and get v, which I plug into T and then I have L = T - U and I can do the problem.

But how can I write down the coordinates of the CM? I never was very good at center of mass problems.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted