1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a Horizontal Table

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    A small block of mass 0.91 kg slides without friction on a horizontal table. Initially it moves in a circle of radius r0 = 0.63 m with a speed 1.5 m/s. It is held in its path by a string that passes through a small hole at the center of the circle. The string is then pulled down a distance of r0 - r1 = 0.12 m, leaving it at a radius of r1 = 0.51 m. It is pulled so slowly that the object continues to move in a circle of continually decreasing radius.
    How much work was done by the force to change the radius from 0.63 m to 0.51 m?

I need help with setting this one up. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The added force is incredibly small, so you can assume the centripetal acceleration is the same at the end as it was in the beginning. So calculate the new velocity based on that

4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    So i get the final velocity as 1.667m/s, but I need acceleration to calculate work, and I don't have the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?