What is the Net Force on a Block on a Moving Incline?

In summary, the magnitude of the force F that must be applied to the large block M in order for the smaller block m to remain in a fixed position on the incline is given by F=(m+M)gtan(theta). This can be determined by setting up a free body diagram for both blocks and using Newton's second law, F=ma, in the x-direction. The coordinate system is chosen based on the direction of the acceleration, with the net force pointing in the same direction. When solving for the larger block, the normal force can be eliminated by substituting mg/cos(theta) into the net force equation. The resulting equation can be simplified to F=(m+M)gtan(theta).
AirForceOne

Homework Statement

A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table. Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the magnitude of the force F that must be applid to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn't move on the incline).

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the forces on block m due to gravity and the force F. So the net force on that block is:
Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=ma

Since the block m isn't moving, I set the net force on it equal to zero (?):
Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=0

And I solve for F:
F= -mgtan(theta)

The actual answer is:
F=(m+M)gtan(theta)

What am I missing? I've been scratching my head for awhile now...

Physics news on Phys.org
AirForceOne said:

Homework Statement

A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table. Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the magnitude of the force F that must be applid to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn't move on the incline).

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the forces on block m due to gravity and the force F. So the net force on that block is:
Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=ma

Since the block m isn't moving, I set the net force on it equal to zero (?):
Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=0

And I solve for F:
F= -mgtan(theta)

The actual answer is:
F=(m+M)gtan(theta)

What am I missing? I've been scratching my head for awhile now...

Draw a FBD for the small block, and prove that its horizontal acceleration must be equal to
[itex]\rm a_x = g tan\theta[/itex], if its vertical acceleration is to equal zero, i.e. [itex]\rm a_y =0[/itex]. Please note, there is no F in the FBD diagram for the small block, only the externally applied N and mg. You could now do a FBD for the large block, making sure you include the action-reaction pair, to determine the necessary F. But a quicker way would be to isolate both blocks together and apply [itex]\rm F = (m+M) a_x[/itex], since the two move as one.

So, step one, draw a FBD for the small block and figure out how the contact force N breaks up into vertical and horizontal components. Let me know how it's going, and we'll see if you need some more hints.

Last edited:
Isn't the normal force perpendicular to the surface of the incline? Why would there be x and y components of it.

Thanks

AirForceOne said:
Isn't the normal force perpendicular to the surface of the incline? Why would there be x and y components of it.

Thanks

This will help you to get started:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8211/blocks1d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotcha.

x-dir: Nsin(theta)=ma
y-dir: Ncos(theta)-mg=0

a=gtan(theta)

How come the net forces will not be the same if I decide to split mg into x and y components instead of splitting the normal force? How do I know which to split?

AirForceOne said:
I gotcha.

x-dir: Nsin(theta)=ma

a=gtan(theta)

How come the net forces will not be the same if I decide to split mg into x and y components instead of splitting the normal force? How do I know which to split?

Good job!

If you look at the picture, the system is going to accelerate in the horizontal direction (+x for my picture). Therefore the net force on the system is a vector pointing in, for my picture, the +x direction as well. You can make a coordinate system anywhere you want, but then you would have to break the applied F up into components as well. The coordinate system I chose makes solving the problem as simple as possible. For example, consider solving circular motion problems with x-y cartesian coordinates, you can do it, but it just makes the problem more difficult, as opposed to using r-[itex]\rm \theta[/itex] unit vectors (cylindrical coordinates) which vastly simplifies things.

Now that you've got a handle on this problem, try to see if you can get the required result by isolating the large mass M, and using Newton's 2nd postulate, [itex]\rm {\bf F}_{net} = M {\bf a}[/itex]. Here's the picture:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/894/blocks2.jpg

Note: (1) Newton's 3rd postulate: the force N must be applied to the mass M, equal magnitude and opposite direction, since M applied N on little m. This is the action-reaction pair I mentioned earlier. (2) I moved the contact force [itex]\rm \eta [/itex], the contact force from the floor, a little to the left so you could see where Mg and [itex]\rm \eta [/itex] are being applied.

Okay I think I understand now...pick a coordinate system and stick with it...

For the larger block:
x-dir: F-Nsin(theta)=M(gtan(theta))

Plugging N=mg/cos(theta) into the x-direction net force:
F-mgtan(theta)=Mg(tan(theta))
F=Mg(tan(theta))+mgtan(theta)

F=(M+m)gtan(theta)

Great! Thanks a lot!

AirForceOne said:
Okay I think I understand now...pick a coordinate system and stick with it...

For the larger block:
x-dir: F-Nsin(theta)=M(gtan(theta)) (Note: this is from the FBD for M)
y-dir: Ncos(theta)-mg=0 (Note: this is from the FBD for m)

[itex]\rm \eta-Mg-NCos\theta = 0[/itex] (this is from the FBD for M, but you don't need it)

Plugging N=mg/cos(theta) into the x-direction net force:
F-mgtan(theta)=Mg(tan(theta))
F=Mg(tan(theta))+mgtan(theta)

F=(M+m)gtan(theta)

Yes, good job! You needed information from doing two FBDs, for (1) m and M, or (2) m and (m+M) as a system. When you do (m+M) as a system, the action-reaction pair doesn't show up, it's "internal" to the system -- they cancel by Newton's 3rd postulate.

Now, since you're becoming a physicist, you should look at your result for [itex]\rm a_x = g tan \theta[/itex], and ask if it makes physical sense when [itex]\rm \theta = 0^o[/itex], and [itex]\rm \theta = 90^o[/itex]. :cool:

Wait so how do you find the normal force of the larger block? Haha.

Thanks!

That was a serious question, by the way. :smile:

AirForceOne said:
That was a serious question, by the way. :smile:

Oh? It was? lol.

I think I wrote it down earlier. Up there somewhere...hang on, there it is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/25/2590137-0.png

from the summation [itex]\rm F_{y_{net}} = M a_y[/itex]

I meant: What is the magnitude of lower-case n, the normal force on the larger block?

Because now if I plug that equation into the net force equation for the x direction, I still have an unknown variable n...

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't need to use that equation (N-Mg-Ncos(theta)=0) because that's not what I want when finding F anyways...so that's what you mean by "you don't need it" haha...my bad

Last edited:
Look at the equation n-Mg-Ncos(theta)=0. You don't know N, so look at the other equations you wrote down to find it.

1. What is a block on a moving incline?

A block on a moving incline is a commonly studied scenario in physics where a block is placed on an inclined plane and is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. What factors affect the motion of a block on a moving incline?

The motion of a block on a moving incline is affected by the mass of the block, the incline angle, the force of gravity, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of a block on a moving incline?

The velocity of a block on a moving incline can be calculated using the formula v = at, where v is the velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (mgsinθ - μmgcosθ) / m, where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the incline angle, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

4. What is the difference between a block on a moving incline and a block on a stationary incline?

A block on a moving incline experiences both the force of gravity and the force of the incline pushing it forward, while a block on a stationary incline only experiences the force of gravity. This results in different calculations for the acceleration and velocity of the block.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the incline affects the motion of the block by changing the magnitude of the force of the incline pushing the block forward. As the angle increases, the force of the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration and velocity for the block.