1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Block on a moving incline

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table. Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the magnitude of the force F that must be applid to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn't move on the incline).

2. Relevant equations

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I find the forces on block m due to gravity and the force F. So the net force on that block is:
    Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=ma

Since the block m isn't moving, I set the net force on it equal to zero (?):
    Fcos(theta)+mgsin(theta)=0

And I solve for F:
    F= -mgtan(theta)

The actual answer is:
    F=(m+M)gtan(theta)

What am I missing? I've been scratching my head for awhile now...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    Draw a FBD for the small block, and prove that its horizontal acceleration must be equal to
    [itex]\rm a_x = g tan\theta[/itex], if its vertical acceleration is to equal zero, i.e. [itex]\rm a_y =0[/itex]. Please note, there is no F in the FBD diagram for the small block, only the externally applied N and mg. You could now do a FBD for the large block, making sure you include the action-reaction pair, to determine the necessary F. But a quicker way would be to isolate both blocks together and apply [itex]\rm F = (m+M) a_x[/itex], since the two move as one.

So, step one, draw a FBD for the small block and figure out how the contact force N breaks up into vertical and horizontal components. Let me know how it's going, and we'll see if you need some more hints.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    Isn't the normal force perpendicular to the surface of the incline? Why would there be x and y components of it.

Thanks

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    This will help you to get started:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8211/blocks1d.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 20, 2010 #5
    I gotcha.

x-dir: Nsin(theta)=ma
    y-dir: Ncos(theta)-mg=0

a=gtan(theta)

How come the net forces will not be the same if I decide to split mg into x and y components instead of splitting the normal force? How do I know which to split?

7. Feb 20, 2010 #6
    Good job!

If you look at the picture, the system is going to accelerate in the horizontal direction (+x for my picture). Therefore the net force on the system is a vector pointing in, for my picture, the +x direction as well. You can make a coordinate system anywhere you want, but then you would have to break the applied F up into components as well. The coordinate system I chose makes solving the problem as simple as possible. For example, consider solving circular motion problems with x-y cartesian coordinates, you can do it, but it just makes the problem more difficult, as opposed to using r-[itex]\rm \theta[/itex] unit vectors (cylindrical coordinates) which vastly simplifies things.

Now that you've got a handle on this problem, try to see if you can get the required result by isolating the large mass M, and using Newton's 2nd postulate, [itex]\rm {\bf F}_{net} = M {\bf a}[/itex]. Here's the picture:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/894/blocks2.jpg [Broken]

Note: (1) Newton's 3rd postulate: the force N must be applied to the mass M, equal magnitude and opposite direction, since M applied N on little m. This is the action-reaction pair I mentioned earlier. (2) I moved the contact force [itex]\rm \eta [/itex], the contact force from the floor, a little to the left so you could see where Mg and [itex]\rm \eta [/itex] are being applied.

8. Feb 20, 2010 #7
    Okay I think I understand now...pick a coordinate system and stick with it...

For the larger block:
    x-dir: F-Nsin(theta)=M(gtan(theta))
    y-dir: Ncos(theta)-mg=0

Plugging N=mg/cos(theta) into the x-direction net force:
    F-mgtan(theta)=Mg(tan(theta))
    F=Mg(tan(theta))+mgtan(theta)

F=(M+m)gtan(theta)

Great! Thanks a lot!

9. Feb 20, 2010 #8
    [itex]\rm \eta-Mg-NCos\theta = 0[/itex] (this is from the FBD for M, but you don't need it)

Yes, good job! You needed information from doing two FBDs, for (1) m and M, or (2) m and (m+M) as a system. When you do (m+M) as a system, the action-reaction pair doesn't show up, it's "internal" to the system -- they cancel by Newton's 3rd postulate.

Now, since you're becoming a physicist, you should look at your result for [itex]\rm a_x = g tan \theta[/itex], and ask if it makes physical sense when [itex]\rm \theta = 0^o[/itex], and [itex]\rm \theta = 90^o[/itex]. :cool:

10. Feb 20, 2010 #9
    Wait so how do you find the normal force of the larger block? Haha.

Thanks!

11. Feb 20, 2010 #10
    That was a serious question, by the way. :smile:

12. Feb 20, 2010 #11
    Oh? It was? lol.

I think I wrote it down earlier. Up there somewhere...hang on, there it is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/25/2590137-0.png [Broken]

from the summation [itex]\rm F_{y_{net}} = M a_y[/itex]

13. Feb 21, 2010 #12
    I meant: What is the magnitude of lower-case n, the normal force on the larger block?

Because now if I plug that equation into the net force equation for the x direction, I still have an unknown variable n...

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't need to use that equation (N-Mg-Ncos(theta)=0) because that's not what I want when finding F anyways...so that's what you mean by "you don't need it" haha...my bad

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  14. Feb 21, 2010 #13

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Look at the equation n-Mg-Ncos(theta)=0. You don't know N, so look at the other equations you wrote down to find it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook