1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a sphere

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small block slides from rest from the top of a frictionless sphere of radius R.How far below the top,x,does it lose contact with the sphere?(Sphere doesn't move)

3. The attempt at a solution

The angle subtended by the block at the centre of the sphere can be taken as theta.If the x axis is considered tangential to the surface and hence y axis in the direction of the normal force,this problem can be solved,when combined with the conservation of energy.

N-mg cos(theta)=-mv^2/R

Answer is R/3.

My question is,how do you solve this problem if the axes are taken "upright",instead of being inclined.i.e,the y-axis is vertical and x-axis is horizontal.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2007 #2

Gold Member

The choice of axes for X and Y won't affect the result, obviously. You can use the same method for the calculation but X, Y and theta will be different.
    If you rotate the axes by angle phi, the new X and Y values will be

X' = Xcos(phi) + Ysin(phi)
    Y' = -Xsin(phi) + Ycos(phi)
    theta' = theta + phi

If you calculate with X' and Y' you should get the same answer whatever phi is.
  4. Apr 2, 2007 #3
    But what if I try to resolve the forces along the "upright" x and y axes,i.e,I get

N cos(theta)=mg+mv^2/R cos(theta)

N sin(theta)= mv^2/R sin(theta) and the energy equation.

Now,how do I find the theta at which N becomes zero(which is when it loses contact,right?)
  5. Apr 2, 2007 #4

Gold Member

It's the point at which the force along the radius ( centripetal) becomes equal to the radial component of mg ( vertical). Equate the forces and solve for theta.

[edit] I'm not so sure about this, my first attempt looks wrong and I don't have time to pursue it right now.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?