1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a table

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Block on a table

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having some trouble finding the acceleration of the blocks, can anyone help me?

The weight of B is 6 lbs.
    The weight of A is 5 lbs.
    The friction coef is .3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) The positive y axis goes from left to right
    sum of forces in y = (6/32)*ab = 2T - 1.8

2) positive y axis goes from top to bottom
    sum of forces in y = (5/32)*aa = 5-T

I know that aa = -2ab
    The way my book derives the relationship between aa and ab is from 'dependent motion' they say that length = sa + 2sb and taking the time derivative twice is 0 = aa + 2ab, the problem is with the way I have my equations setup, when i use aa = -2ab i get the wrong answer, does anyone know how I can fix it so I am using aa = -2ab and getting the correct answer?
    I don't see anything wrong with my equations, but i am getting the wrong accelerations. Can anyone help?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

sign problems

Not exactly. You've defined both aa and ab to be positive when B moves right and A moves down, so it should be: aa = 2ab.
    That's fine, but realize that you are defining the position of B to increase to the right, but sb actually decreases when mass B moves to the right. That's why you need to change the sign.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?