Block on a Wedge: Solving the 0N Equation

• Thread starter zohapmkoftid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Wedge
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct answer to a physics problem involving a block and a wedge. The correct answer is A: 0N, but the person's attempt resulted in B: 12N. They are questioning what is wrong with their approach and it is pointed out that they have not considered the friction component.
zohapmkoftid

Homework Statement

http://uploadpie.com/7kzGG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is A : 0N
But my answer is B : 12 N
Here is my attempt

http://uploadpie.com/UUGwM

I know I can consider the block and the wedge as one system and I can get the correct answer. But I want to know what's wrong with this approach.
Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi zohapmkoftid! Welcome to PF! :smile:
zohapmkoftid said:
I know I can consider the block and the wedge as one system and I can get the correct answer. But I want to know what's wrong with this approach.

Yes, Rsinθ is the horizontal component of the normal component of the reaction force

But you haven't included the whole reaction force …

what about the friction component? :wink:

Yes, I haven't considered f cos
thank you!

What is the "Block on a Wedge" problem?

The "Block on a Wedge" problem is a classic physics problem in which a block is placed on top of a wedge and the forces acting on the block are analyzed to determine the acceleration of the block.

What is the 0N Equation?

The 0N Equation is a simplified version of Newton's Second Law, where the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the "Block on a Wedge" problem, this equation is used to solve for the acceleration of the block.

How do you solve the 0N Equation for the "Block on a Wedge" problem?

To solve the 0N Equation for the "Block on a Wedge" problem, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the block showing all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use trigonometry to break down the forces into components and use the 0N Equation to set up an equation for the net force in the x-direction and in the y-direction. Finally, you can solve for the acceleration of the block using algebra.

What are the common assumptions made in solving the "Block on a Wedge" problem?

The common assumptions made in solving the "Block on a Wedge" problem include: neglecting friction, assuming the block and wedge are in a static equilibrium position, and assuming the block and wedge have no rotation.

Why is the "Block on a Wedge" problem important in physics?

The "Block on a Wedge" problem is important in physics because it allows us to apply Newton's Laws of Motion to a real-world scenario, and practice breaking down forces into components. It also helps us understand the concepts of equilibrium, friction, and rotational motion.