How Do You Calculate the Maximum Force on Stacked Blocks Without Slippage?

• Thread starter Speedking96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the 7.10 kg box without M1 sliding relative to M2 is 16.88 Newtons.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

Two masses M1 = 4.00 kg and M2 = 7.10 kg are stacked on top of each other as shown in the figure. The static coefficient of friction between M1 and M2 is μs = 0.430. There is no friction between M2 and the surface below it.

What is the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to M2 without M1 sliding relative to M2?

Homework Equations

F=ma

Ffriction = μFnormal

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 4 kg box:

Fnet = ma
Ff=ma
μmg = ma

μg=a
(0.43)(9.81) = a = 4.23 m/s/s

I understand that this must be the acceleration for the whole system, but when I calculate the max force, do I do it for the whole system's mass or for the 7.10 kg box only? Why or why not?

Attachments

• IMG.png
    IMG.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram for the other box as well. Also, write the net force equations in the x and y directions.

physicsboy121 said:
Draw a free body diagram for the other box as well. Also, write the net force equations in the x and y directions.

For the y-direction:

∑forces = 0 ; since the object is not accelerating in that direction

For the x-direction:

Fnet= Fapp

Fapp=ma= (7.10)(4.23) = 16.88 Newtons

But, when we are applying the force to the lower box, aren't we essentially pushing the whole system? Therefore, shouldn't the mass of the whole system be considered?

Attachments

• IMG2.png
    IMG2.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 404
You are missing one force on the FBD you just drew. And instead of F normal of the system, I suggest that you think it as F12 (i.e. force of mass 1 onto mass 2) Also the friction force on the FBD of your initial post should be pointing in the other direction.

physicsboy121 said:
You are missing one force on the FBD you just drew. And instead of F normal of the system, I suggest that you think it as F12 (i.e. force of mass 1 onto mass 2) Also the friction force on the FBD of your initial post should be pointing in the other direction.

Is it the static friction of the top box?

correct

physicsboy121 said:
correct

Fnet=ma
Fapp-Ff = ma

Fapp - μmg = ma

Fapp = ma + μmg

= (7.1)(4.23) + (0.43)(4)(9.81) = 46.91 Newtons ?

I don't know how to approach problems that deal with multiple masses. Frustrating.

What is the "Block on Block Problem"?

The Block on Block Problem is a physics problem where a block is placed on top of another block, and the friction between the two blocks is being studied.

Why is the Block on Block Problem important?

The Block on Block Problem is important because it helps us understand the concept of friction and how it affects objects in contact with each other.

What factors affect the friction between the blocks?

The friction between the blocks is affected by the type of surface the blocks are on, the weight of the blocks, and the force applied to the top block.

How can the friction between the blocks be reduced?

The friction between the blocks can be reduced by using a lubricant between the surfaces, reducing the weight of the blocks, or decreasing the force applied to the top block.

What are some real-life applications of the Block on Block Problem?

The Block on Block Problem can be applied to situations such as pushing a heavy object, walking on different surfaces, or designing machinery with moving parts.