1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on block problem

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m = 0.500 kg rests on top of a block of mass M = 2.50 kg which is on the
    floor. A string attached to the block of mass M is pulled so that its tension is T = 7.00 N
    at a 25.0o angle to the horizontal as shown. The blocks move together across the
    horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction at the surface between the blocks is
    μs = 0.410. There is no friction at the surface between block M and the floor.

a) What is the acceleration of the two-block system?

b) What is magnitude and direction of the total force (combination of normal force
    and frictional force) on block m due to block M?

c) The tension T is now increased - what is the maximum tension, Tmax, with which
    the string can be pulled such that the blocks continue to move together (i.e. that
    the block of mass m does not start to slide on top of the block of mass M)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved part a and got 2.11 m/s^2 but i have no clue about part b and c. please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For part b): what is happening to block m?

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3
    Since there is friction, block m is not moving. Only M is moving.?

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the question says "the blocks move together ...", how do you interpret that?

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5
    An analysis that comes to mind is pulling a sled with a child on it...except there is no incline

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is block m accelerating?

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7
    no

9. Jan 30, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might want to revise your answer to part a), where I imagine you calculated the acceleration of the two block system. You should recalculate for acceleration of mass M only?

How did you get 2.11m/s/s if block m doesn't move?

10. Jan 30, 2017 #9
    I found the x and y components of the tension with the angle. Since acceleration is horizontal and not vertical, only the x component is considered. I used Newton's 2nd Law, 7cos25=ma, and when I solved for a, I got 2.11m/s^2. This is only for mass M (the one without friction). Was I supposed to include both blocks? If mass m is not moving, then shouldn't it be fine that we only consider block M?

11. Jan 30, 2017 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I reckon cos25 is about 0.9, so the horizontal force is about 6.3N.

That would accelerate block M - mass 2.5kg - at about 2.6 m/s/s.

Or, it would accelerate the system of block M and m - combined mass 3kg - at about 2.1m/s/s.

So, how did you get 2.1m/s/s assuming only block M moves?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted