1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on incline

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    Find the position of the block as a function of time for both cases:

Here're my answers. Please check to see if they're correct. The free body diagram are attached.

a) x(t)= .5g(cos(theta)-sin(theta))t^2
    b) x(t)= .5gsin(theta)t^2

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2
    Although I can't see your attachments , where's the coefficient of kinetic friction in the first part of the question ?
    Also is your X-axis along the incline ?
  4. Jun 5, 2006 #3
    coefficient of friction is not given, so i just assume it's mu (u). i don't know if one can do this or not. But if one has to calculate it, u is usually tan(theta).

And yes, x-axis is along the incline.
  5. Jun 5, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's not true, in general. What you are probably thinking of is the relationship between the coefficient of static friction (between an object and a surface) and the (special) angle at which the object just begins to slide. For that specific angle, [itex]\mu_s = \tan\theta[/itex].

But what you what is the coefficient of kinetic (sliding) friction, assuming the object starts from almost rest. What's the exact statement of the problem?

Your free body diagram looks OK to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?