Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem

In summary, the person is asking for confirmation on their solution to a physics problem involving a block on an inclined plane. They provide a picture of the problem and their free body diagram, which includes forces such as gravity, kinetic friction, and normal force. The equations Fnet= -ma, fk- Fgx= -ma, and u(Fn)= -ma are mentioned, along with the value of u being 1.182397583. A correction is given for the person's mistake in their calculation.
Maiia
Can someone tell me if I'm doing this problem right?

Homework Statement

Here is the picture of the problem:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/Kyashii628/block.jpg

In my FBD, I have Fg pointing down, Fgy perpendicular to the incline and pointing down, Fgx parallel to incline pointing down the ramp (to left), kinetic friction pointing up the ramp (to right), and normal force pointing opposite from Fgy.

Homework Equations

Fnet= -ma
fk- Fgx= -ma
u(Fn)= -ma
u(345.0615986)= 648.9664808 -240
u= 1.182397583

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maiia said:
Can someone tell me if I'm doing this problem right?

Homework Statement

Here is the picture of the problem:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/Kyashii628/block.jpg

In my FBD, I have Fg pointing down, Fgy perpendicular to the incline and pointing down, Fgx parallel to incline pointing down the ramp (to left), kinetic friction pointing up the ramp (to right), and normal force pointing opposite from Fgy.
good, but remember in your FBD, that once you resolve Fg into its x and y components, you should 'cross out' the Fg downward force.

Homework Equations

Fnet= -ma
fk- Fgx= -ma
good
u(Fn)= -ma
I'm sure you meant u(Fn) = fk
u(345.0615986)= 648.9664808 -240
you have your mg(sin theta)and mg(cos theta) reversed.
u= 1.182397583
Correct your error and your result should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your work and make sure that your calculations and equations are correct. It seems like you have a clear understanding of the problem and have correctly identified the forces acting on the block. However, it is difficult to determine if your calculations are correct without seeing your work and knowing the specific values for the forces involved. I would suggest checking your work and making sure that your equations are properly set up and that you are using the correct values for each force. It's always a good idea to ask for feedback or assistance from a teacher or classmate if you are unsure about your solution. Overall, keep up the good work and continue to approach problems in a scientific and methodical manner.

What is a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem"?

A "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem" refers to a type of physics problem that involves finding the motion and forces acting on a block that is placed on an inclined plane. These types of problems are commonly used to test students' understanding of concepts such as friction, gravity, and Newton's laws of motion.

What are the key components of a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem"?

The key components of a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem" include the mass of the block, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the forces acting on the block (such as gravity and normal force). These components are used to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and final position of the block.

How do I approach solving a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem"?

To solve a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem", you should first draw a free body diagram to visually represent the forces acting on the block. Next, you can apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and acceleration of the block. From there, you can use kinematic equations to calculate the velocity and final position of the block.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem" include using incorrect values for the angle of the incline, forgetting to account for the force of friction, and using the incorrect units in calculations. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of forces and velocities when applying equations.

How can I check my answers when solving a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem"?

One way to check your answers when solving a "Solving Block on Incline Physics Problem" is to use the conservation of energy principle. This states that the total mechanical energy (kinetic and potential) of the block should remain constant throughout its motion. Additionally, you can double-check your calculations and units to ensure they are correct.