1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on Incline

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i.minus.com/iVbsy2FomprcM.PNG [Broken]
    http://i.minus.com/iVbsy2FomprcM.PNG [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm struggling with the normal force and I'm not sure if the component of the force F is the cosine or sine. I see examples where its sine but that doesnt make any sense to me. Isn't the x direction supposed to be cosine?

Fn = mgsinθ
    81.2cosθ - Fnμ = 9.23
    -Fnμ = -65.897

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For simplicity of the solution, the x axis is chosen to be the axis parallel to the incline, and the y axis is the axis perpendicular to the incline. In this manner, the applied force F is already in the in the x direction, and when you draw your FBD for the forces (you are missing at least one), a bit of geometry/trig and newton 1 in the chosen y direction will you give you the relationship between the normal force and weight. Since the applied force is already in the x direction and the normal force in the y direction, it is the weight force that needs to be broken up into its x and y components before applying Newton's Laws. And no, the x axis is not always the cos, it depends on what angle you are working with and the trig properties of a right triangle.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    Okay.

So the normal force is equal to mgsinθ?

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. If you aren't sure, then you look at a limiting case: let ##\theta## go to zero, and you know that then the normal force is equal to mg. Forces the choice between ##mg\sin\theta## and ##mg\cos\theta## to be the latter because cos(0) = 1.

The normal force is ##\perp## the incline. In your FBD you should easily see that the angle between mg and the normal force is ##\theta## and not ##{\pi\over 2}-\theta##. So cosine to project mg on the perpendicular.

Don't associate x with the one and y with the other. Sometimes it's like this, other times it is the other way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted