Solve Block on Incline HW: F=ma & Fn=mgsinθ

In summary: It depends on which has the angle in common.In summary, for the given problem, the normal force is equal to the weight force projected onto the axis perpendicular to the incline, which can be found using the cosine function. The x and y axes should not be associated with specific forces, but rather the angle between the forces and the incline should be considered.
PierceJ

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/iVbsy2FomprcM.PNG

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling with the normal force and I'm not sure if the component of the force F is the cosine or sine. I see examples where its sine but that doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't the x direction supposed to be cosine?

Fn = mgsinθ
81.2cosθ - Fnμ = 9.23
-Fnμ = -65.897

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PierceJ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling with the normal force and I'm not sure if the component of the force F is the cosine or sine. I see examples where its sine but that doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't the x direction supposed to be cosine?

Fn = mgsinθ
81.2cosθ - Fnμ = 9.23
-Fnμ = -65.897
For simplicity of the solution, the x-axis is chosen to be the axis parallel to the incline, and the y-axis is the axis perpendicular to the incline. In this manner, the applied force F is already in the in the x direction, and when you draw your FBD for the forces (you are missing at least one), a bit of geometry/trig and Newton 1 in the chosen y direction will you give you the relationship between the normal force and weight. Since the applied force is already in the x direction and the normal force in the y direction, it is the weight force that needs to be broken up into its x and y components before applying Newton's Laws. And no, the x-axis is not always the cos, it depends on what angle you are working with and the trig properties of a right triangle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

So the normal force is equal to mgsinθ?

No. If you aren't sure, then you look at a limiting case: let ##\theta## go to zero, and you know that then the normal force is equal to mg. Forces the choice between ##mg\sin\theta## and ##mg\cos\theta## to be the latter because cos(0) = 1.

The normal force is ##\perp## the incline. In your FBD you should easily see that the angle between mg and the normal force is ##\theta## and not ##{\pi\over 2}-\theta##. So cosine to project mg on the perpendicular.

Don't associate x with the one and y with the other. Sometimes it's like this, other times it is the other way.

1. What is "Solve Block on Incline HW: F=ma & Fn=mgsinθ"?

"Solve Block on Incline HW: F=ma & Fn=mgsinθ" is a physics problem that involves finding the force of a block on an inclined plane, using the equations F=ma (Newton's Second Law) and Fn=mgsinθ (the force of normal force on the block). It is commonly used as a homework question in physics classes.

2. How do you solve for the force of a block on an incline?

To solve for the force of a block on an incline, you need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration. You also need to use the equation Fn=mgsinθ, where Fn is the force of the normal force on the block, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline. By setting F=ma equal to Fn=mgsinθ and solving for F, you can find the force of the block on the incline.

3. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Force and Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the more force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

4. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from falling through the surface. In the context of "Solve Block on Incline HW: F=ma & Fn=mgsinθ," the normal force is the force that the inclined plane exerts on the block to keep it from sliding down the incline.

5. How is the force of the normal force related to the force of gravity?

The force of the normal force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity in a static situation (when the block is not moving). In other words, the normal force is the force that balances out the force of gravity to keep the object in place. In the context of "Solve Block on Incline HW: F=ma & Fn=mgsinθ," the force of the normal force is equal to mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.