1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on slope. mechanics.

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    A wedge with mass M rests on a fricitonsless horizontal table top. a block with mass m is placed on the wedge. There is no friction between the block and the wedge. The system is released from rest.

q1: calculate the accelration of the wedge

now why would the wedge have any accelration at all? wouldn't just stand still?..

I can't get how I'm suppose to calculate the acceleration of the wedge.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    The wedge exerts a reaction force on the thing on the wedge. From Newton's third law there must consequently be a force on the wedge equal to the normal reaction force. As this force is not perpendicular to the horizontal a component of this force is in the horizontal direction, producing an accelleration on the wedge.
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    So if the normal force for the block is n the opposite one which is the one that acts on the wedge will be m*g*cos(aplha).. but how do I get the horizontel component for this force?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?