1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on Spring with Friction

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

A relaxed spring with spring constant k = 50 N/m is stretched a distance di = 63 cm and held there. A block of mass M = 6 kg is attached to the spring. The spring is then released from rest and contracts, dragging the block across a rough horizontal floor until it stops without passing through the relaxed position, at which point the spring is stretched by an amount df = di/10.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction µk between the block and the floor?

I know i need to use the Work-Energy theorem.

I'm not really sure what i need to do?

The kinetic energy is 0, but i don't know how to find the work done by friction.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums,

You're spot on with using the work-energy theorem. What does that theorem state and how can we apply it to this problem?

4. Oct 4, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the definition of work?

5. Oct 4, 2008 #4
    Thanks,
    The work-energy theorem is: change in Kinetic Energy=the work done by friction.
    I believe the change in kinetic energy is 0, but its the work done by friction i can't seem to find.

Work is a force over a distance, correct?
    So would the work done by friction mean its
    (Coefficient of friction-M)(Fnormal)(distance)=Work done by friction?

6. Oct 4, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Make that the change in total mechanical energy (kinetic energy plus spring potential energy).
    Exactly.

7. Oct 4, 2008 #6
    So the kinetic energy = 0
    Work done by friction = M(58.86N)(.567m)
    The potential energy = -Force(x2-x1)???

I'm not too familiar with potential energy yet. Is this the right formula i need to use?
    If so what is the force i need? Is it F = -50N/m(x)?
    If so what distance will i use, the distance it was initially stretched or the distance it comes to rest at?

8. Oct 4, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Good.
    No. (Look up the formula for the energy stored in a stretched spring. Or derive it yourself.)

Since the force is not constant, you can't just use FΔx.

9. Oct 4, 2008 #8
    I used Elastic Potential Energy Formula: (1/2)kx^2

So i set it up like this:
    Work by Friction_______Potential Energy Final____Potential Energy Initial__Kinetic
    M(58.86N)(0.567m) = (1/2)(50N/m)(.063)^2 - (1/2)(50N/m)(.63)^2 + 0

I solved for M = -.29, but its saying this is the wrong answer and i thought i had it right.

10. Oct 4, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Good.

The work done by friction is negative, since it opposes the motion.

11. Oct 4, 2008 #10
    I see, i had the right answer it just needed to be positive and have a more exact answer. It was 0.294! Thanks alot for your help. I'm beginning to understand this now. I wish i had you as my teacher, i don't seem to learn too much from the one i have right now. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?