Understanding the Wedge Problem in Conservation of Momentum and Energy

In summary, the block of mass m rests on a wedge of mass M which rests on a horizontal table. If the system starts at rest with point P of the block a distance h above the table, find the velocity of the wedge the instant point P touches the table.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Attached in the files, scan from Resnick and Halliday. Also the answers (notice that I use a different meaning for [tex]u[/tex], but it shouldn't matter.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial Energy of the system is [tex]mgh[/tex], initial momentum is 0.
I'll call the velocity of the wedge [tex]u[/tex] and the velocity of the block [tex]v[/tex].
The equations:
[tex]2mgh = mv^2 + Mu^2[/tex] - all potential energy goes to the velocities of both objects.
[tex]Mu = -mv \cos \alpha[/tex] - conservation of momentum - only the horizontal component of [tex]v[/tex] is taken into consideration.

I end up having this as an answer:
[tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{2gh}{M^2 + Mm \cos ^2 \alpha}}m \cos \alpha[/tex]
Which is, not correct according to the answer.
What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• img073.jpg
    img073.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 984
  • img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the pictures pending approval, so I guessed at what the question is asking. I assumed that you are looking for the speed of the wedge and I got the same answer as you. What is the answer in the back of the book?

I'll type it in:
A block of mass m rests on a wedge of mass M which, in turn, rests on a horizontal table, as shown in Fig. All surfaces are frictionless. If the system starts at rest with point P of the block a distance h above the table, find the velocity of the wedge the instant point P touches the table.

Answer is:
[tex](\frac{u \cos \alpha}{\sqrt{1-u \cos ^2 \alpha}})\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

[tex]u = \frac{m}{m+M}[/tex]

It has some similarities to my answer, so I guess the general idea I had in mind was correct. My guess is my conservation equations are not accurate (because I don't feel sure about them).

The problem with your expression is that the x component of the block's velocity is vblock*cosα relative to the wedge, not relative to the table. Relative to the table it is vblock*cosα - Vwedge.

so I need to replace it only in the momenton equation? What about the energy equation?

manenbu said:
so I need to replace it only in the momenton equation? What about the energy equation?
You'll need to modify both equations.

Meaning in the energy equation the vertical component of the block's velocity stays the same while the horizontal is relative?
I'll try.

So here is yet another attempt.
I'm out of ideas.
Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• img075.gif
    img075.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 825
I haven't had a chance to look at your attempt in detail (I will a bit later), but at first glance:
(1) Your energy equation is OK.
(2) Correct your momentum equation: The velocity of the wedge is -u (u is positive).

It works. You should correct your momentum equation as Doc Al has suggested. From the momentum equation you should get

[tex]v cos\alpha = \frac{M+m}{m}u[/tex]

In order not to confuse your u with the book's u, let

[tex]\frac{M+m}{m} = \frac{1}{\beta}[/tex] so that

[tex]v cos\alpha = \frac{u}{\beta}[/tex]

Put that in your energy equation and it should come out.

Ok, I got it. Thanks!

What is the "Block on Wedge problem"?

The Block on Wedge problem is a classic physics problem that involves a block resting on an inclined plane or wedge. The goal is to determine the forces acting on the block and the motion of the block when it is released from rest.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the Block on Wedge problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Block on Wedge problem include Newton's laws of motion, friction, and the application of trigonometry to determine the forces and angles involved.

What are the assumptions made in solving the Block on Wedge problem?

The main assumptions made in solving the Block on Wedge problem are that the block is at rest before it is released, there is no external force acting on the system, and friction is the only force acting parallel to the inclined plane or wedge.

How do you approach solving the Block on Wedge problem?

The first step in solving the Block on Wedge problem is to draw a free body diagram of the block and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to set up equations and solve for the unknown forces. Finally, use trigonometry to determine the motion of the block.

What are some real-life applications of the Block on Wedge problem?

The Block on Wedge problem has practical applications in engineering and construction, such as calculating the forces on a car or truck driving up a steep incline or the stability of a structure on an inclined surface. It is also used in designing ramps and other inclined surfaces for wheelchair accessibility.