1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block pushed against a wall

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass 2 kg is pushed against a rough vertical wall with a force of 40N , co-efficient of static friction being 0.5.Another horizontal force of 15N is applied on the block in the direction parallel to the wall.

2. Relevant equations

Will the block move? If yes, in which direction? If no, find the frictional force exerted by the wall on the block

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing which puzzles me about this problem is that in which direction should the parallel force be acting? I think the block will move;but do we take into consideration the gravitational force acting downwards?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem statement is incomplete as worded. It should state in which direction (up or down) the parallel force is acting. Does it?

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sideways! (I admit that that's tricky.)

You need to consider all forces acting parallel to the wall, including gravity.

5. Aug 16, 2007 #4
    Well the problem doesn't state that but what would be the solution both ways(for up and down)?

6. Aug 16, 2007 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, sorry, Doc is right, forget my response, as i was envisioning a vertical force parallel to the wall.

7. Aug 16, 2007 #6
    Ok...could you elaborate a little on how the net motion is sideways?

8. Aug 16, 2007 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

First identify all the forces acting on the block parallel to the wall. Without friction, what would be the net force parallel to the wall (magnitude and direction)? Is friction enough to prevent the motion?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?