Solving "6. [SFHS99 5.P.60.]" Physics Problem

• Thread starter splinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Wall
In summary, the force on the block is gravity, the work done by gravity is negative, the normal force is 194.5 N, and the work done by the force is positive.
splinter
Hey everyone, my first post here, hope it's ok that it's a question...
I've got this physics problem that is absolutely stumping me, is abnormal from all the other forces problems I've done before, and uk is throwing me for a loop too...here it is:

6. [SFHS99 5.P.60.] A 5.5 kg block is pushed 3.1 m at a constant speed up a vertical wall by a constant force applied at an angle of 30.0° with the horizontal, as shown in Figure 5-23.
Figure 5-23
Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the wall is 0.30.

(a) Determine the work done by the force on the block
___________________ J
(b) Determine the work done by gravity on the block.
___________________ J
(c) Determine the normal force between the block and the wall.
___________________ N

Any help or hints you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated...this one has me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know there will be a normal force, find out which will it be equal to, remember the block isn't moving the x-axis so the Fx sum is zero.
Also Remember Newton's 1st Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = 0 \rightarrow \vec{v} = constant[/tex]

Think in components of the applied force.

Last edited:
Ok so I tried taking the gravitational force, 54.96N, and finding the horizontal component of that. I drew it as a triangle with 54.96N as the y leg, then did 53.96/tan 30 to find the x leg of the triangle. This gave me 93.46N, which my online homework is saying is wrong! Still confused =\

Applying Newton's 1st Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = 0 \rightarrow \vec{v} = constant[/tex]

on x-axis

[tex] Fcos\theta - N = 0 [/tex]

[tex] Fcos\theta = N [/tex]

On y-axis

[tex] Fsin\theta - mg - F_{f} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

[tex] Fsin\theta - mg -\mu Fcos\theta = 0 [/tex]

Gravity will have a negative work because it forms 180 degrees with the displacement vector, and [itex] Fsin\theta [/itex] will do the work pushing the block up.

Also remember Work definition

[tex] W = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{r} [/tex]

where W is equal to

[tex] W = |\vec{F}||\vec{r}|cos\theta [/tex]

where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between the radius vector and the force.

Last edited:
ok I've gotten the Fapp and the Fn, now I'm just having trouble with the Ff. I used the equation Ff = uN, plugging in my normal force of 194.5 and u of .3, then multiplied that by 3.1 to get work, and entered the negative of that, but it's still telling me its incorrect. Don't understand what I'm doing wrong!

Didn't see your new post and edit, might be able to get it with that.

(a) Determine the work done by the force on the block
___________________ J
(b) Determine the work done by gravity on the block.
___________________ J
(c) Determine the normal force between the block and the wall.
___________________ N

Read the questions again, it does not ask for work done by friction... I also decided to delete my energetic solution, because it wasn't needed.

Whoops it was work done by gravity...easy just mgd. doh! Thanks for the help i got them all now.

It was a pleasure to be of help, and welcome to PF!

1. How do I approach solving a physics problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, including identifying the given information and what is being asked. Then, use relevant physics equations and principles to set up and solve the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck, take a break and come back to the problem later with a fresh perspective. You can also try working through similar practice problems or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Can I use a calculator when solving a physics problem?

Yes, calculators are allowed and often necessary for solving complex physics problems. Just make sure to use the appropriate units and round to the correct number of significant figures.

4. How do I check if my answer is correct when solving a physics problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and ensuring that it satisfies all the given information and correctly answers the question. You can also compare your answer to the expected value or ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. Also, make sure to review and understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the problems rather than just memorizing equations.