1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block, Ramp, Friction, and Spring

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1

A man pulls a block of mass m = 20 kg up an incline at a slow constant velocity for a distance of d = 3.5 m. The incline makes an angle q = 33° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inclined plane is µk = 0.2.

a) What is the work Wm done by the man?

b) What is the speed v of the block when it first reaches the horizontal surface?

c) What is the spring constant k of the spring?

d) How far up the incline d1 does the block rebound?

Relevant equations:
    Wtotal = Change in Kinetic energy
    Ffriction = Coefficient of friction(Fnormal)
    Fspring = kx

I know there are the force of friction, the man, and gravity on the box. I started by saying:
    Wman - Wgrav - Wfriction = Change in KE
    Wgrav = m*g(in x-direction)*(Change in height) -->(20kg)(9.81m/s^2*sin33)(3.5sin33m)
    Wfriction = (coefficient of friction)*m*g*distance -->(.2)(20kg)(9.81m/s^2)(3.5m)
    Change in KE = 0
    Wman = 823.919J, but this is not right...what am i doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    What am i doing wrong with work done by the man? Isn't it just
    Wman-Wgrav-Wfriction = 0
    Wgrav = -m*g*h
    Wfric = -(Coefficient of friction)(m*g)(distance)
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The work done by gravity is either -mgh or -mg(sin theta)*d. You used W_grav = -mg(sin theta)*d(sin theta) .

Also, when calculating the friction force, the normal force and the weight are not the same.
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    ok so your saying

Wgrav = -(20kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin33)(1.9m)

And if your turn your coordinate axis so the normal force is going in the positive y direction wouldn't that make the normal force equal and opposite of the weight of the block?
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    i figured it out

Wgrav = m*g*(sin theta)*d
    Wfric = (Coefficient of friction)*(m*g*cos theta)*d

after that it was quite easy to figure out the rest.

Thanks PhanthomJay!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?