What is the angle of the plane with respect to the horizontal?

In summary, on an inclined plane, a block of mass 19.0 kg is moving at a constant speed due to friction. With a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.24, the angle of the plane with respect to the horizontal can be found by balancing the normal, friction, and gravitational forces. The normal force is equal to the product of the mass and the cosine of the angle, while the friction force is equal to the product of the normal force and the coefficient of kinetic friction. By setting the net force perpendicular to the incline to zero, the angle can be solved for using three equations.
reaperkid

Homework Statement

A block of mass 19.0 kg is sliding down an inclined plane. Due to friction between the block and the plane the block is moving at constant speed. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.24), what is the angle of the plane with respect to the horizontal ?

m = 19kg
mu = .24
theta = ?

Homework Equations

Fk = mu*Fn
Fn = g sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about the hint of the block moving with a constant speed due to friction.. Because that means that the net force is 0, so how can I calculate this if one of the forces is equal to 0?? I can't get the normal force without the angle and I can't get the friction force without the normal force.. Can anybody help me out with what that clue implies?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
reaperkid said:
I'm confused about the hint of the block moving with a constant speed due to friction.. Because that means that the net force is 0, so how can I calculate this if one of the forces is equal to 0?? I can't get the normal force without the angle and I can't get the friction force without the normal force.. Can anybody help me out with what that clue implies?

Hi reaperkid! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)

There are three forces … normal, friction, and gravitational …

so just balance them to add to zero

(either by using components, or a vector triangle ) :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi reaperkid! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)

There are three forces … normal, friction, and gravitational …

so just balance them to add to zero

(either by using components, or a vector triangle ) :smile:

Soo does that mean the normal force is equal to the gravitational force?

no, draw a FBD

Bright Wang said:
no, draw a FBD

Ughhh, I don't know how to get the normal force or friction force. If I could get either of those then it would be easy to balance them. And isn't friction the only negative force here?

Nevermind I got it, thanks!

Last edited:
reaperkid said:
Ughhh, I don't know how to get the normal force or friction force. If I could get either of those then it would be easy to balance them. And isn't friction the only negative force here?

Nevermind I got it, thanks!

I think you should sketched the vector forces. I will give you a hint. There will be two components that make up the forces: The x-component and the y-component. Identify the forces in the x-directions and identify the forces in the y direction. What do you think the value of the acceleration in the y-direction will be?

Assume that angle with horizontal is theta.
mu = 0.24
You have written Fn = g sin theta
I think you missed m. Moreover, it should be cos, not sin.
Draw the diagram. You will find that correct is
Fn = mg cos(theta)--------------------(1)

You have written Fk = mu * Fn
i.e. Fk = 0.24 Fn-----------------------(2)

You got two equations (1) and (2). By resolving forces parallel to the incline and making net force in this direction as zero, you will get one more equation:-
Fk = mg sin(theta)-----------------(3)

You should be able to find theta from these three equations.

1. How does the angle of the plane affect the speed of the block?

The angle of the plane does affect the speed of the block. The steeper the angle, the faster the block will slide down the plane. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of gravity that is acting on the block, causing it to accelerate faster.

2. What factors contribute to the friction between the block and the plane?

The friction between the block and the plane is influenced by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the block, and the angle of the plane. A rougher surface will have more friction than a smooth surface, and a heavier block will have more friction than a lighter block. Additionally, a steeper angle will increase the friction between the block and the plane.

3. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration down the plane?

The mass of the block does not directly affect its acceleration down the plane. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier block will require more force to accelerate, but once the force is applied, it will accelerate at the same rate as a lighter block.

4. Can the block ever reach a constant speed while sliding down the plane?

Yes, the block can reach a constant speed while sliding down the plane if the forces acting on it are balanced. This would occur when the force of gravity is equal to the frictional force between the block and the plane. At this point, the block will continue to slide at a constant speed until another force is applied to change its speed.

5. What is the relationship between the length of the plane and the time it takes for the block to reach the bottom?

The length of the plane does not affect the time it takes for the block to reach the bottom. This is because the acceleration of the block is determined by the angle of the plane and the forces acting on it, not the distance it travels. As long as the angle and forces remain constant, the time it takes for the block to reach the bottom will also remain constant.