What Are the Forces and Energy Involved in a Block Sliding Down a Ramp?

In summary: If you can't solve those on your own, then I think it would be safe to just assume you are launching at a 45 degree angle.
CaptainEvil
1. Homework Statement

A block of mass m=1.62 kg slides down a frictionless surface (see below). The block
is released at a height h=3.91 m from the bottom of the loop. Assume the bottom of the
ramp indicated between the dashed lines in the diagram is a segment of a circle with R = 1.5m. Neglect air resistance.

a) What is the force of the inclined track on the block at the bottom (point A)?
b) What is the force of the track on the block at point B?
c) At what speed does the block leave the track?
d) How far away from point A does the block land on level ground?
e) Sketch the potential energy U(x) of the block. Indicate total energy on the sketch.

2. Homework Equations

Are explained below

3. The Attempt at a Solution

A) I think, it's just the opposite force to the blocks weight at point a, and with no angles, it's simply mg = 15.89 N

B) the normal force at point b now has to take into account the component of gravity in the y direction so would the force the track exert on the block be mgsin45? If so the answer is 10.32 N

C) the speed at the end of the ramp corresponds to the kinetic energy it gained, from the potential energy at the top = mgh. however h in this case = (h - distanceAB). with a little bit of algebra I worked out the distance from the top to point B in the y direction (so new h) is 3.55 m. so PE mgh = 56.36 J = 1/2mv2. rearranging yields v = 8.34 m/s

D) this is where I'm having problems. I know for a normal projectile question, if I'm given a projectile angle, distance from the ground and initial veloctiy I can calculate time in air, and eventually distance travelled. I have 2 of the 3, and cannot find a launch angle. Keep in mind this is not a straight ramp I'm dealing with, so I didn't think trig could help me. Do you think it is safe to just assume launching at a 45 degree angle? Please help if there is a way to do it.

E) I think the potential energy graph looks a lot like the ramp itself, except it starts at the origin and jumps up immediately after. Am I right here?

I only needed help on D) and E), but please even if I'm right and you know I am, confirm my other answers, it will help a lot for the learning process. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ramp2.jpg
    ramp2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi captain Evil ^^

I faced this problem before and i kept the answer in my Computer ^^

Download it from here :

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zw11mdmj1kn

See Ya

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have word. Can you just describe how you went about part a & b?

Wooo Wait friend I faced this problem maybe 2 years ago & actually forgot the whole concept of the problem. So please forgive me, try to read it & understand it by yourself & if U stuck In somewhere tell the Members to clear 4 U that part.

Sorry Again Captain.

I have attached the answers for parts A & B .

Attachments

• Part A.jpg
    Part A.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 421
  • Part B.jpg
    Part B.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 455

What is the concept of "Block Sliding Down Ramp"?

The concept of "Block Sliding Down Ramp" refers to the motion of a block as it slides down an inclined plane or ramp due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the speed of a block sliding down a ramp?

The speed of a block sliding down a ramp is affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp surface.

How does the angle of the ramp affect the motion of the block?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the block will accelerate down the ramp due to the increased force of gravity.

What role does friction play in the motion of a block sliding down a ramp?

Friction between the block and the ramp surface can slow down the block's motion, as it acts in the opposite direction of the block's movement. The coefficient of friction, which is affected by the materials and surfaces in contact, determines the magnitude of this force.

How can the motion of a block sliding down a ramp be calculated?

The motion of a block sliding down a ramp can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. The angle of the ramp, mass of the block, and coefficient of friction are important variables in these calculations.