Block sliding down wedge max value problem

In summary: For the case where the block would slide DOWN the slope, the direction of friction would be UPwards. For the case where the block would slide UP the slope, the direction of friction would be DOWNwards.
bodensee9
Hello:

I have an inclined triangular wedge of angle Ø (meaning, this wedge makes angle Ø with the horizontal) and a block is lying on the wedge. the coefficient of friction between the wedge and block is u.

(a) determine the max value of Ø for the block to remain motionless on the wedge when the wedge is fixed in position.
Let m = mass of block, then
This part is just umgcosØ = mgsinØ. So then tanØ = u, and u = arctanØ

(b) the wedge is given horizontal acceleration a. Assuming that tanØ < u, find the maximum and minimum acceleration so that the block doesn't slide. I think for the minimum, I will just set friction along the wedge = the component of acceleration along the wedge + the component of gravity on the block along the wedge. But I'm not sure what to do about finding the maximum acceleration? I think not sliding means that they are both accelerating horizontally at a.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the maximum, they mean not accelerating up the incline.

Remember that friction is bi-directional. So for the maximum, you need to overcome via acceleration, both the downward component of gravity along the incline as well as the friction resisting any motion.

A good way I've found to approach these problems is to think in terms of how much force the static friction can enact on the block.
Remember that fs max = µs * N = µs*mg*cosΘ

Also, not sliding would mean that the block is at rest relative to the wedge. If you know how to work with fictitious forces, I suggest you draw a free body diagram of the block, from the accelerated frame of the block, with fictitious forces, and say that the block is at rest and see where that gets you.

A good point to make here (And please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you should also take note of two cases. One where without friction the block would slide down the slope, and one where without friction the block would slide UP the slope. Remember that fs is a vector, and its direction is opposite that of the expected velocity.

oh right, that helps. i think the difference is that friction points in opposite directions. thanks.

Hi,

Even though I know how to 'solve' this problem mathematically, something about it still bothers me, physically speaking. So having calculated the minimum and maximum accelerations (lets call them amin and amax), suppose we give the block an acceleration a strictly between these two values. i know the block won't move relative to the wedge. But how can we know the direction of (static) friction (upwards or downwards)?

Thanks

1. What is the block sliding down wedge max value problem?

The block sliding down wedge max value problem is a classic physics problem that involves a block of mass sliding down a frictionless wedge. The goal is to find the maximum angle at which the block will remain in equilibrium without sliding down the wedge.

2. How is this problem solved?

This problem is typically solved using the principles of forces and torque in physics. The key equations used are Newton's second law of motion and the law of conservation of energy.

3. What are the factors that affect the maximum angle of the wedge?

The maximum angle of the wedge is affected by the mass of the block, the angle of the wedge, the gravitational force, and the angle of the force of friction acting on the block.

4. What is the significance of solving this problem?

Solving the block sliding down wedge max value problem helps in understanding the concept of equilibrium and how different forces act on objects. It also has practical applications in engineering and designing structures that need to maintain equilibrium under certain conditions.

5. Are there any real-life examples of this problem?

Yes, this problem has real-life applications in designing ramps and inclines for vehicles, as well as in understanding the stability and equilibrium of buildings and structures on sloped surfaces.