1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding on top of cart

1. Dec 18, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m =0.75 kg is set on a large cart of mass M = 6.5 kg. The cart's rollers are frictionless, but there is a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.36 between the cart's surface and the block. The cart is at rest when the block is given an initial speed of 5.2 m/s. The block slides across the cart's surface, but the sliding stops before the block reaches the other end of the cart.

What distance does the cart travel along the floor from the time the block is set in motion to the time sliding ceases?

The attempt at a solution
    What I did to solve the problem is I first used conservation of momentum to find the final velocity of the cart.
    I did mv0 = (m+M)vf .
    Then I found acceleration by doing a = μmg/M.
    Then I used those values and used v2 = v02 +2ax and solved for x, and got .35 meters, but it is wrong. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Once the cart starts to move, what is going to stop it?

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3
    nothing stops the cart, but the question is asking how much distance has it traveled until the block on top stops sliding

5. Dec 18, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah. Good point. I missed that.

6. Dec 18, 2016 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your expression for [itex]a[/itex] is wrong. The force of friction is [itex]F_f = - \mu mg[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the mass of the block. So the relevant acceleration is [itex]a = - \mu g[/itex].

7. Dec 18, 2016 #6
    Isn't that the acceleration of the block? The acceleration of the cart would be Ma = μmg, so a = μmg/M... right? Or am I wrong?

8. Dec 18, 2016 #7

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're right--that's how far the block slides on the cart before coming to rest, which isn't what the problem asked for.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  9. Dec 18, 2016 #8

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So in terms of the cart, we have the initial velocity is zero, and the final velocity is [itex]v[/itex], so we use your formula:

[itex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a x[/itex]

with [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]a = \frac{\mu m g}{M}[/itex] (as you said). (the acceleration of the cart is positive.)

10. Dec 18, 2016 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Raj, your work looks correct to me. With g = 9.8 m/s2, I get the distance to be 0.355 m = 0.36 m.

11. Dec 18, 2016 #10
    Ok thanks guys, I talked to my teacher and he said he made a calculation error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted